• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Solid/liquid Fats at ambient temperatures

• Thread starter soopo
  • Start date

Homework Statement

a.) What are oils and fats that are solid at ambient temperatures?
b.) What are oils and fats that are liquid at ambient temperatures?

The Attempt at a Solution

The questions give alternatives
1. fatty oil
2. ether
3. margarine
4. soap
5. fat

I am not sure about the answers.
I would guess
A.) soap
B.) fatty oil

Answers and Replies

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
What determines if a oil/fat is solid or liquid? What is your reason for your "guess?" We can't help you until you show your work, not just guesses.

Though, "ambient temperature" is a poor wording choice...that just means basically the temperature of the air around you, which could be anything from -40 C to +50 C (or more extreme) depending on where you live and what time of year it is. I assume the question means room temperature of about 23-25 C.

What determines if a oil/fat is solid or liquid? What is your reason for your "guess?" We can't help you until you show your work, not just guesses.

Though, "ambient temperature" is a poor wording choice...that just means basically the temperature of the air around you, which could be anything from -40 C to +50 C (or more extreme) depending on where you live and what time of year it is. I assume the question means room temperature of about 23-25 C.

I know that soap is solid in room temperature, while fatty oil like oil for food is liquid in room temperature.

These are the reasons for my answers.