What to fill a glass bottle with (a liquid that hardens) to lower its volume?

• Thread starter Daniel Lee
  • Start date
Homework Statement:: Oil Lamp ( Paraffin help )
Relevant Equations:: Not sure what to write here

HI folks,

I'm trying to make an oil lamp from an old Vodka bottle.
The bottle is the usual 750ml and is in a skull shape bottle. ( maybe you know it )

Anyhow I have all the materials and almost ready to go but, I don't want
750ml or anything close to that number of lamp oil ( Paraffin of sorts ) in the bottle as
it may have a deadly consequences.
So my question to you all is what kind of liquid or substance can I put in the glass bottle
to fill it up ( that maybe hardens ) that can fill the bottle maybe half way so as not to have to put in so much
Paraffin. Also it would have to not react with the paraffin as I'd hate to have slight amounts of
say.....Resin, or glue burning off with the oil.

Anybody know of a good solution?
thanks
Dan in Toronto

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
How about water? There probably is an issue with the wick. Maybe fill the bottle with glass marbles or beads. Or ball bearings or stones. Make it more stable too.

hmmm27
Gold Member
water. You may have to let the wick dry out between fills.

How about water? There probably is an issue with the wick. Maybe fill the bottle with glass marbles or beads. Or ball bearings or stones. Make it more stable too.
OK interesting. I'm trying to imagine if I were to fill it up with ball bearings ( say, half way ) then I'm obviously putting less Paraffin in the bottle. Would there be any issues with the Paraffin that does make it's way through the cracks or channels of ball bearings? Would it rust them?
thanks for the reply by the way

water. You may have to let the wick dry out between fills.
I admit I'm horrible with Chemistry. Are you suggesting Water as it would not mix with the Paraffin?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Are you suggesting Water as it would not mix with the Paraffin?

Like oil and water.

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
General question: if you put the wick down through the oil into the water will it pull up water or oil predominantly ? I fear it will be water but don't know.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
I admit I'm horrible with Chemistry. Are you suggesting Water as it would not mix with the Paraffin?
As others said, oil and water.
1610829273626.png

Just make sure that the wick floats on the oil, and does not sink down into the water.

DaveE
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Would there be any issues with the Paraffin that does make it's way through the cracks or channels of ball bearings?
No.
Would it rust them?
No.

hmmm27
Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the forum prohibition against advising people on how to build nuclear space ray guns doesn't apply but, if'n it was me, I'd run quite a few tests on top of a large sand or dirt base before putting it within reach of children, cats, idiot friends.

Actually, I'd probably either make an LED lamp or a bong. Frankly, I think the bottle is going to break from the heat.

Last edited:
jrmichler
Mentor
That's why oil lamps have a metal fitting between the glass and the wick. That metal fitting usually has a short tube with a wick adjusting roller. The flame is separated from the glass. A wick adjustment is needed because too much wick exposure can cause a very smoky flame.

And another vote for testing outside first.

hutchphd
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I assumed the OP was using a commercial wick and chimney assembly (you used to be able to get replacement parts at the hardware store). If not that then by all means do not proceed. You need the well designed chimney for proper burn and cooling. Not a good place to experiment.

hmmm27
Gold Member
Funny, I assumed he had a floating wick assembly. If the flame is external to the skull, there's much less worrying about the glass breaking... and the normal amount of worry about open flames.

Homework Statement:: Oil Lamp ( Paraffin help )
Relevant Equations:: Not sure what to write here

HI folks,

I'm trying to make an oil lamp from an old Vodka bottle.
The bottle is the usual 750ml and is in a skull shape bottle. ( maybe you know it )

Anyhow I have all the materials and almost ready to go but, I don't want
750ml or anything close to that number of lamp oil ( Paraffin of sorts ) in the bottle as
it may have a deadly consequences.
So my question to you all is what kind of liquid or substance can I put in the glass bottle
to fill it up ( that maybe hardens ) that can fill the bottle maybe half way so as not to have to put in so much
Paraffin. Also it would have to not react with the paraffin as I'd hate to have slight amounts of
say.....Resin, or glue burning off with the oil.

Anybody know of a good solution?
thanks
Dan in Toronto

Hi folks. Thanks you so much for you help. I will try here to attach a picture of the lamp so far. Again it's a pretty thick old Vodka bottle with it's neck shaved off and Chimney glued on. I think the ball bearings or marbles idea might be the winner as it'd keep the wick from from mixing with water.
20210117_162642.jpg

berkeman
Mentor
Holy smokes! That's a vodka bottle? :woot:

Hey Berkeman,
Yes it's actually Dan Akroyd's Vodka company from Nova Scotia

Holy smokes! That's a vodka bottle? :woot:
Mind you I primed and painted it of course. It originally is clear .

berkeman
Mentor
Hey Berkeman,
Yes it's actually Dan Akroyd's Vodka company from Nova Scotia
Kinda looks like Dan after one of our parties. He used to frequent the PF Mentor lounge. Hoo-boy, those were the days...

• Haha
Likes anorlunda and BillTre
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2020 Award
I have a similar vodka bottle, but its an alien head instead of Dan's.
At some point in its production, the vodka or a precursor was run over some meteorite material, so its "out of this world!".

Kinda looks like Dan after one of our parties. He used to frequent the PF Mentor lounge. Hoo-boy, those were the days...
Oh man this is funny!

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Mind you I primed and painted it of course.

It's just not the same without a little lead in the vodka anyway.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You might try a test tube insert. A little fiddly but sounds like just what you need.

Frodo
Gold Member
Sand will work. Add a bit of glue if you want it to stay in place.

Glass fibre resin - be careful - it gets hot when setting.

Potting compound/resin.

Mortar.

Molten lead - don't breathe any fumes as they are extremely toxic. Don't use if it will damage the skull.

Bore a hole in the base and insert a glass bottle for the oil and glue it in place.