Solid rigid equilibrium problem

In summary: It's not right because I've calculated the forces of reaction from A and B, and they don't look right. I've also tried to include the effect of the normal reaction, but it doesn't look right either.
rAz:DD

Homework Statement

Hi. Given a homogeneous bar of gravity G,the length AB = 2L, resting without friction on
the two inclined planes with the angles alpha and beta to the horizontal, as shown in the following figure:
http://img44.imageshack.us/i/pic01ns.jpg/

Is is demanded:
1) The tetha angle for the equilibrium
2) The two reactions from the rests A and B (NA and NB)

Homework Equations

Sum Fix=0;
Sum Fiy=0;
Sum MiO=0;

The Attempt at a Solution

I've chosen X axis the line containing the bar, and the Y axis the line perpendicular to the line; O(0,0) represents the intersection of the axis in the middle of the bar.NA and NB are both on the Y axis, the moment (torque) of G is 0 , moment of NA and NB are both (2L/2)*force.

I can't identify the angles for the projections of G on the two axis. I don't need the full solution, just the projections of G, and , maybe, a hint if i did something wrong before this step.

Looking forward for any reply.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello rAz, if i were to do this question, i would draw all the forces then express in the x and y direction. Take torque about either end and equate [tex]\Sigma[/tex][tex]\tau[/tex]=F.d

Hi semc
How do i express G on the X Y axis (where x is the bar axis) ? I've got that tetha angle, but i can't find a right triangle there. I tried to consider the Y axis having the same direction as G, but it's the same problem with the forces of reaction from A and B.

Can someone please help me?

Extend the line of the rod till it intersects the horizontal. The angle it makes with the horizontal is equal to the angle between G and the normal of the rod (just like in case of a slope).

ehild

Thanks!
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/4251/81187915.jpg

I see a triangle with the first angle tetha, the second one 2*pi-alpha, therefor the needed angle is: 2*pi-tetha-(2*pi-alpha) = alpha-tetha.

Still, i believe this answer is wrong, because Gx and Gy should depend on the beta angle too. And the tetha angle depends on both alpha and beta. I am i doing something wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
The normal reactions marked at A and B are not correct. The normal reaction must be perpendicular to point of contact on the surface by the rod.
Suppose the angle made by rod at A less than θ, which force at the other end of the rod on the surface B pulls it to the equilibrium position?
Resolve Gx at B. One along the surface B and the other perpendicular to the surface B.
See whether it helps you to find θ.

"I see a triangle with the first angle tetha, the second one 2*pi-alpha, "

well, it is pi-alpha...

"the needed angle is: 2*pi-tetha-(2*pi-alpha) = alpha-tetha."

the sum of angles in a triangle is pi...

But otherwise, the needed angle is alpha -theta.

"Still, i believe this answer is wrong, because Gx and Gy should depend on the beta angle too. "

Nevermind. The three angles are not independent.

But there is some other trouble, as rl.bhat noted. The directions of the reaction forces NA and NB do not look right from your drawing.

ehild

What is a solid rigid equilibrium problem?

A solid rigid equilibrium problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the forces acting on a solid object that is in equilibrium, meaning it is not moving or rotating. This typically involves analyzing the object's geometry and the forces acting on it to determine the unknown forces or variables.

What are some common examples of solid rigid equilibrium problems?

Some common examples of solid rigid equilibrium problems include determining the forces acting on a bridge, analyzing the forces on a ladder leaning against a wall, and finding the tension in the ropes of a pulley system.

What are the key principles involved in solving a solid rigid equilibrium problem?

The key principles involved in solving a solid rigid equilibrium problem include Newton's laws of motion, the concept of torque, and the understanding of vector addition and subtraction. It is also important to consider the equilibrium conditions, such as the sum of forces and torques being equal to zero.

What are some common strategies for solving solid rigid equilibrium problems?

Some common strategies for solving solid rigid equilibrium problems include drawing a free body diagram to visualize the forces acting on the object, breaking down the forces into components, and using algebraic equations to solve for the unknown forces or variables.

What are some tips for approaching solid rigid equilibrium problems?

Some tips for approaching solid rigid equilibrium problems include carefully reading and understanding the problem, identifying all known and unknown variables, and checking your solution to make sure it is physically reasonable. It can also be helpful to practice solving different types of problems to improve your problem-solving skills.