1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solid state and quantum mechanic independence?

1. Feb 24, 2009 #1
    HEY...so here I go!

Abstract: To determine the level of independence between an introductory solid state course to an introductory quantum mechanics course.

The deal is I’m going in my third year of a Bsc with honours (yes Canada lol) and specialization in Physics-Mathematics and I’m cornered in a tight spot, next semester I need to take Intro. To QM, Thermodynamics, theoretical physics and an introduction to numerical methods, but if I also take intro to solid state I save myself from taking an additional semester to my total program. So will it hamper my learning experience if I attempt to take both intro. to QM and SS at the same time? My current knowledge is QM is purely introductory at this point, mostly gained during modern physics. I just want to be able to extrapolate the most I can from SS without the fact that I might be missing some key points from QM for the majority of the course.

Let’s discuss the similarities of introductory courses in solid state and quantum mechanics.

Help inform me on their union and interception so I can make an educated decision!

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2009 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A course in quantum mechanics is usually required before taking a course in solid state.

4. Feb 25, 2009 #3
    You should really ask the instructor for a syllabus. A typical undergrad one semester intro to solid state should be completely understandable with only a rudimentary knowledge of QM. If the instructor expects you to have taken a QM course already though, chances are they're going to draw on it.

5. Feb 26, 2009 #4
    The instructor for the course hasnt been chosen yet but here is the course description:

Crystal structure and its experimental determination. Cohesion in different solids. Crystal vibrations and thermal properties of solids. The Drude and Sommerfeld theories of metals. Energy bands. Semi-conductor crystals. Optical processes and excitons. Magnetic properties of solids. Dielectrics and ferroelectrics. Defects and dislocations. Noncrystalline solids.

thermodynamics being a corequisite, and the prerequisite being modern physics which is where i attained my QM knowledge but the problem is i talked to friends of mine about subatomic 1 which doesnt have the QM course as a prerequisite and they felt that having taken the QM course would of truely helped them in the process of understand the material even though they had taken modern physics.

6. Feb 26, 2009 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Those right there require a significant amount of QM to do it right........

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook