1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Materials or Solid State Course?

1. Sep 29, 2015 #1
    Hi everyone,

I am a fourth year undergrad in physics. I am strongly considering graduate study in materials science, and I am wondering which course might have more impact both on my future studies and on admissions.
    The materials course seems like a broad overview of the subject, going over structure, bonding, and related properties.
    The solid state course is offered by the physics department, and seems like it will follow the text by Kittel closely.

Basically, I don't know if I should take an introductory course to materials, or take a more advanced solid state physics course, particularly in light of materials science admissions.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2015 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

Personally, I think it is quite easy to learn the stuff from a materials course in self study while you can easily get lost in soldi state physics. So I would go for the solid state physics class and read the script of the materials class as a good night story.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook