1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solitons, instantons etc. -- Studying the general theory of solitons in QFT

1. Aug 15, 2015 #1
    Hello everybody!
    I've recently decided that I'm interested in supersymmetric solitons and want to work in this area for future 2 undergrad years. I wonder what is the best place to study the general theory of solitons in QFT? Is Rubakov "Classical gauge fields" really the best book for those who allready knows QFT?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The somewhat classic reference was Coleman's Aspects of Symmetry for a very physical introduction. A more complete treatment can be found in Rajaraman, Solitons and Instantons or the newer Manton and Sutcliffe, Topological Solitons. Rubakov seems to be a bit more recent than the latter, but I'm not familiar with it. I would highly recommend Coleman's book based on the quality of the presentation, but don't really have a preference for one of the other three texts.

4. Aug 20, 2015 #3
    Thank you for this advice, Coleman is really good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook