How to learn QFT on curved spacetimes by myself?

In summary, the individual has a major in mathematical physics and is currently working on a graduate course in Physics with a focus on General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory on Curved Spacetimes (QFTCS). However, due to various issues, including the passing of their advisor, their thesis cannot be on this topic. As a result, the individual has decided to study QFT on curved spacetimes on their own. They have already taken a graduate level course on QFT and have a strong understanding of GR. They are interested in learning about the algebraic approach to QFT on curved spacetimes, but are unsure of which resources to use and which approach to start with. They are open to learning both the algebraic and traditional approaches
leo.
I have a major in mathematical physics and mathematics and currently I'm on a graduate course in Physics working on a master's thesis. When I started the graduate course I was going to work on General Relativity and Quantum Field Theory on Curved Spacetimes (QFTCS). It turns out that by several problems, including the unfortunate that my advisor passed away, my thesis couldn't be on what I really wanted or anything related. Now it is being quite annoying to just work on something I don't have much interest and that doesn't seem to help on my future career, so I decided to study what I want on my free time.

I have taken a one-semester graduate level course on QFT using Matthew Schwartz' book. The course basically covered scalar field quantization, vector field quantization, spinor fields, QED and renormalization applied to QED. I also have studied GR on my own, and furthermore, my current work involves GR, even though it is not mainly about it, so I feel comfortable with it.

Now what I want to learn is QFT on curved spacetimes. The issue is that there are many different sources and many different approaches. I confess that due to my mathematical physics background I prefer more rigorous approaches, and talking about QFT on curved spacetimes I really liked the algebraic approach which my former advisor pointed me to. On the other hand, there are sources with a more traditional approach, and there are many different sources using the algebraic approach, so IMHO it is quite easy to get lost on it alone.

What should I do? What resources should I use (I don't know which of them would be best for self-study)? What approach should I pick first? I believe it is good to know both approaches: the algebraic and the traditional. Since I'm feeling more comfortable with the algebraic, would it be better to start by it?

How can I learn QFT on curved spacetimes on my own?

Physics news on Phys.org
I really liked the notes by Winitzki. It's also available in bookform. But then again, I don't like the algebraic formal approach.

1. How difficult is it to learn QFT on curved spacetimes by myself?

Learning QFT on curved spacetimes can be a challenging and complex task. It requires a strong foundation in both quantum mechanics and general relativity, as well as a deep understanding of the mathematical concepts involved. It may take time and effort to grasp the concepts and equations, but with dedication and perseverance, it is possible to learn QFT on curved spacetimes by yourself.

2. What resources are available for learning QFT on curved spacetimes?

There are many resources available for learning QFT on curved spacetimes, including textbooks, online lectures, and research papers. Some popular textbooks include "Quantum Field Theory in Curved Spacetime and Black Hole Thermodynamics" by Robert Wald and "Quantum Field Theory on Curved Spacetimes" by Chris Fewster and Valter Moretti. Online lectures by experts in the field can also be found on platforms such as YouTube and Coursera.

3. Do I need a strong background in mathematics to learn QFT on curved spacetimes?

A strong background in mathematics, particularly in differential geometry and tensor calculus, is essential for understanding QFT on curved spacetimes. The concepts and equations involved are highly mathematical, and a good understanding of these concepts is crucial for mastering the subject.

4. What are some important concepts to focus on when learning QFT on curved spacetimes?

Some important concepts to focus on when learning QFT on curved spacetimes include the stress-energy tensor, the Einstein field equations, and the concept of local causality. It is also important to have a good understanding of the mathematical tools used in QFT on curved spacetimes, such as the Christoffel symbols and the Riemann curvature tensor.

5. How can I practice and apply my knowledge of QFT on curved spacetimes?

To practice and apply your knowledge of QFT on curved spacetimes, you can work through exercises and problem sets in textbooks, attend workshops or seminars, and participate in online forums and discussions with other physicists. You can also try to solve research problems and contribute to ongoing research in the field.