1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solubility and Equilibrium question

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the molar solubility of Cu(OH)2, Ksp = 2.2 × 10^–20, in 0.87 M NH3. Don't forget to use the complexation reaction Cu2+ + 4 NH3 ⇌ Cu(NH3)42+, K = 5.0 × 10^13.

2. Relevant equations
    Ksp=[A]^m^n
    Keq=[product]/[reactants]

3. The attempt at a solution

I wasn't sure where to begin. I figured that because Cu reacts with NH3, more of the Cu(OH)2 would "disappear" thus having a higher solubility. So I did an ICE table for Cu2+ + 4 NH3 ⇌ Cu(NH3)4 and set it up as x/(.87-x)^5=5 * 10^13, but the answers were non-real. I'm at a loss for where to begin, now. I know I need to do something with the Cu + NH3 reaction, too (otherwise, why would we even be given that information?), but I don't really know what.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 1, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Try to assume concentration of ammonia doesn't change. Note that OH- concentration is a function of ammonia concentration as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook