Gibbs free energy from partial pressures

The symbol for the Boltzmann constant is kB, not R.In summary, the conversation discusses calculating ΔG for a reaction at 298 K under specific conditions and the use of the formula ΔG=-R*T*ln(K) to do so. The correct value for ΔG is determined to be +13.1 kJ/mol after accounting for units and the minus sign in the formula. The use of °K instead of K and the symbol for the Boltzmann constant are also mentioned.
kmwolf92

Homework Statement

Consider the following reaction:
CH3OH(g) <-> CO(g)+2H2(g)

Calculate ΔG for this reaction at 298 K under the following conditions:
PCH3OH=0.895atm
PCO=0.115atm
PH2=0.200atm

Homework Equations

ΔG=-R*T*ln(K)
where R is the gas constant 8.314 J/molK, T is 298 in this case, and K is determined from the partial pressures.

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated K by (0.2002)(0.115)/0.895 and found it to be 0.00514.
This produced deltaG=-8.314*298*ln(0.00514)=-13.1 kJ, but this is incorrect according to the website. I'm really not sure what is going wrong; this is my last attempt on any of the pressure problems on this homework, so I'd like to get this figured out. My guess right now is that it's related to the # of moles not being used (as R suggests), but I'd appreciate input before I use my last attempt, especially so it's drilled into my brain after this assignment.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The consistency in units is often the case

Since the problem doesn't give Delta G naught, we calculate Delta G reaction assuming the reaction is at equilibrium (ΔG = 0)
ΔG° reaction (kJ) = - R (J/°K.mol) x T(°K) x ln (Pp/Pr)​

In this case, convert R = 8.314x10-3 (kJ/°K.mol)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
You neglected the minus sign. (Clue: if K < 1, ΔG0 must be positive.) Is +13.1 kJ/mol correct, according to your website?

linhbear said:
The consistency in units is often the case

Since the problem doesn't give Delta G naught, we calculate Delta G reaction assuming the reaction is at equilibrium (ΔG = 0)
ΔG° reaction (kJ) = - R (J/°K.mol) x T(°K) x ln (Pp/Pr)​

In this case, convert R = 8.314x10-3 (kJ/°K.mol)
The use of °K instead of K was discouraged in 1967.

1. What is Gibbs free energy from partial pressures?

Gibbs free energy from partial pressures, also known as the Gibbs free energy of mixing, is a thermodynamic quantity that describes the amount of energy available to do work in a system as a result of the mixing of different substances at a constant temperature and pressure.

2. How is Gibbs free energy from partial pressures calculated?

Gibbs free energy from partial pressures is calculated using the formula ΔG = ΔH - TΔS, where ΔG is the change in Gibbs free energy, ΔH is the change in enthalpy, T is the temperature in Kelvin, and ΔS is the change in entropy.

3. What is the significance of Gibbs free energy from partial pressures?

Gibbs free energy from partial pressures is an important concept in thermodynamics as it allows us to predict whether a reaction will occur spontaneously or not. A negative ΔG indicates a spontaneous reaction, while a positive ΔG indicates a non-spontaneous reaction.

4. How does pressure affect Gibbs free energy from partial pressures?

As the pressure increases, the partial pressure of each substance involved in the reaction also increases. This can lead to a decrease in the overall ΔG, making the reaction more spontaneous.

5. Can Gibbs free energy from partial pressures be used to predict the direction of a reaction?

Yes, Gibbs free energy from partial pressures can be used to predict the direction of a reaction. A negative ΔG indicates a spontaneous reaction in the forward direction, while a positive ΔG indicates a non-spontaneous reaction in the reverse direction.