1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solution 1. order differential equation

1. Jan 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    So I've been given an assignment to find all solutions to the differential equation as mentioned below. From what can be seen, it's a 1. order differerential equation.

The assignment is as stated:

[itex]

y'(t)+p*y(t)=y(t)^2

[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

So I tried to rewrite to somehow match the general form of a 1. order differential equation:

[itex]y'(x) +p(x)y = q(x)[/itex]

But no matter what I try, I can't get it to look somehow like it.

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is that it equals the funktion itself raised in 2. I just have no idea how to find the solution, when that is the case. I tried to rewrite and solve it, using the general solution, but no matter what, the function itself becomes a part of the solution, which shouldn't be the case.

Been using the general solution as mentioned below:

[itex]e^{-µ(x)} * ∫e^{µ(x)} q(x)dx[/itex]

where [itex] µ(x) = ∫p(x)dx [/itex]

and [itex] µ(x) = px [/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2012 #2

fluidistic

Gold Member

4. Jan 10, 2012 #3
    "e^{-µ(x)} * ∫e^{µ(x)} q(x)dx,µ(x) = ∫p(x)dx,µ(x) = px" You said µ(x)=px, but p is a function of x, so I believe it's something else. Also I think you meant not the first order since the original diff. equ is already of first order but of first degree.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook