Solution for two unknowns with two equations

• Thread starter zoom1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Unknowns
In summary: We can divide the first equation by the second and use the tangent half-angle substitution to eliminate the trigonometric functions. This gives us an algebraic equation in terms of the unknown variables qb and qc. We can then solve for one variable in terms of the other and substitute back into the original equations to find the values of qb and qc. In summary, using the tangent half-angle substitution, we can transform the system of equations into an algebraic equation and solve for the unknown variables qb and qc.
zoom1
lb*cos(qb) - lc*cos(qc) = ld*cos(qd) - la*cos(qa)

lb*sin(qb) - lc*sin(qc) = ld*sin(qd) - la*sin(qa)

Those are the equations I have. I know all the parameters but qb and qc.

How can I solve for qb and qc ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
zoom1 said:
lb*cos(qb) - lc*cos(qc) = ld*cos(qd) - la*cos(qa)

lb*sin(qb) - lc*sin(qc) = ld*sin(qd) - la*sin(qa)

Those are the equations I have. I know all the parameters but qb and qc.

How can I solve for qb and qc ?
This would mean the system is:

B⋅cos x - C⋅cos y = D
B⋅sin x - C⋅sin y = E

?

There is always the approach ##\sin(x) = \sqrt{1-\cos^2(x)}##, but there might be a better solution for this particular set of equations.

zoki85 said:
This would mean the system is:

B⋅cos x - C⋅cos y = D
B⋅sin x - C⋅sin y = E

?

Yes

Transform it into system of algebraic equation with tangent half-angle substitution:
tan(x/2)=u ⇒ sin(x)=2u/(1+u2) , cos(x)=(1-u2)/(1+u2)
tan(y/2)=v ⇒ sin(y)=2v/(1+v2) , cos(y)=(1-v2)/(1+v2).

Unfortunatelly, it seems in general case the system can't be solved exactly,and you'll have to do it with aproximative numerical methods (iterativelly).

*Post edited for removing typos

Last edited:
It is possible to find an analytic solution. The common prefactors on the left side make it much easier.

1. What is a solution for two unknowns with two equations?

A solution for two unknowns with two equations is a set of values that satisfy both equations simultaneously. This means that when the values are substituted into the equations, they make both equations true.

2. How can I find the solution for two unknowns with two equations?

To find the solution for two unknowns with two equations, you can use the method of substitution or elimination. In the method of substitution, you isolate one variable in one of the equations and substitute its value into the other equation. In the method of elimination, you manipulate the equations to eliminate one variable and solve for the other.

3. Can there be more than one solution for two unknowns with two equations?

Yes, there can be more than one solution for two unknowns with two equations. If the two equations represent two lines that intersect at more than one point, then there will be multiple solutions. However, if the equations represent parallel lines, there will be no solution.

4. Is it possible to have no solution for two unknowns with two equations?

Yes, it is possible to have no solution for two unknowns with two equations. This occurs when the equations represent parallel lines that do not intersect. In this case, there is no set of values that can satisfy both equations at the same time.

5. What is the importance of finding the solution for two unknowns with two equations?

Finding the solution for two unknowns with two equations is important because it allows us to solve real-world problems that involve two variables. It also helps us understand the relationship between the two variables and make predictions based on the given equations.