Determine the Main Cycle of a Counter (JK flip-flops)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the main cycle and outcomes for unused states in a counter shown in a provided diagram. The equations used are JA = QB', KA = 1, JB = QC', KB = QC, JC = QA, and KC = QA. The problem is understanding what to do after this, and the person asks for an explanation. They are then asked if they know how a JK flip-flop works and are given three questions to consider for different combinations of inputs.
NovaDude
Homework Statement
For the counter shown below, determine the main cycle, and for each of the unused states, show what happens if it starts up there.

http://i45.tinypic.com/33l1lhc.jpg

Relevant equations
N/AThe attempt at a solution
Based on the diagram in the link I provided, I know that:

JA = QB'
KA = 1
JB = QC'
KB = QC
JC = QA
KC = QA

The problem is I do not know what to do after that. Can anyone explain to me how to do this? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how a JK flip-flop works?

What happens if A,B,C are active and we get the next clock cycle?
What happens if A,B,C' are active?
What happens for all other combinations?

1. What is the main cycle of a counter?

The main cycle of a counter refers to the sequence of events that occur in order for the counter to increment or decrement its value. This cycle typically involves the use of flip-flops, such as JK flip-flops, to store and manipulate binary information.

2. How does a JK flip-flop function in a counter?

A JK flip-flop is a type of sequential logic circuit that can store one bit of data and change its output based on the input and clock signal. In a counter, the JK flip-flop is used to store the current count value and toggle between a 0 and 1 state based on the clock signal, thereby incrementing or decrementing the count value.

3. What are the essential components of a counter's main cycle?

The main cycle of a counter typically consists of four essential components: a clock signal, input signals, flip-flops, and output signals. The clock signal synchronizes the operation of the counter, the input signals determine the direction and amount of change in the count value, the flip-flops store and manipulate the count value, and the output signals display the current count value.

4. How does the number of flip-flops affect the main cycle of a counter?

The number of flip-flops used in a counter can impact the length and complexity of the main cycle. A counter with more flip-flops can have a longer main cycle, as the count value needs to propagate through more stages before reaching the output. Additionally, more flip-flops can allow for a larger count range and more precise counting.

5. What are some common applications of counters using JK flip-flops?

Counters using JK flip-flops are commonly used in digital electronics for a variety of purposes, such as frequency division, time measurement, data storage, and control circuitry. They can also be found in devices like electronic clocks, traffic light controllers, and digital counters for industrial and scientific applications.