Solution of inequality of composite function involving inverse

In summary: So when applying f to both sides of an inequality, it only preserves the inequality if f is an increasing function.
songoku
Homework Statement
Let ##f(x)=x^4+0.2x^3-5.8x^2-x+4, 0 \leq x \leq 1.67## and ##g(x)=2 \sin(x-1) -3 , -\frac{\pi}{2}+1 \leq x \leq \frac{\pi}{2}+1##

(i) Find ##f^{-1} (x)##
(ii) Solve ##(f^{-1} o~ g)(x) < 1##
Relevant Equations
Inverse and composite function
I can solve (i), I got x = -1.6

For (ii), I did like this:
$$(f^{-1} o ~g)(x)<1$$
$$g(x)<f(1)$$

But it is wrong, the correct one should be ##g(x) > f(1)##. Why?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Firstly: What is ##f^{-1}##? Is it the solution of ##f^{-1}\circ f =\operatorname{id}## or is it the set ##f^{-1}=\{y\in \mathbb{R}\, : \,y=f(x)\text{ for some }x\}?##

Secondly: If it is the former, the inverse function, then how can it be a single value? Shouldn't it be another function?

You can divide ##f(x)## by ##(x+1)## and ##(x-0.8)## for a better handling.

Last edited:
Likes songoku
fresh_42 said:
Firstly: What is ##f^{-1}##? Is it the solution of ##f^{-1}\circ f =\operatorname{id}## or is it the set ##f^{-1}=\{y\in \mathbb{R}\, : \,y=f(x)\text{ for some }x\}?##

Secondly: If it is the former, the inverse function, then how can it be a single value? Shouldn't it be another function?
I am so sorry I mistyped the question. Question (i) should be: solve ##f^{-1} (x) = 1## so I did it like this:
$$f^{-1} (x) =1$$
$$x= f(1)$$
$$x = -1.6$$

##f^{-1} (x)## is inverse function of f(x)

When you apply f to both sides of an inequality, that only preserves the inequality if f is an increasing function. If f is decreasing, if flips the inequality (e.g. multiply both sides by -1). If f is neither, then you can't really say much about the inequality after applying f to both sides.

Likes songoku
It is strictly increasing and one-to-one on the given interval.

If you are looking for an ##x## such that ##f(x)=1##, then we have to solve
$$
g(x):=x^4+0.2x^3-5.8x^2-x+3=0
$$
This equation doesn't have 'nice' solutions. Are you expected to find them by an algorithm, or graphically? ##x=-1.6## is wrong and furthermore not in the given interval.

If you want to calculate ##f(1)## then the decomposition of ##f(x)## into irreducible factors is useful. I already told you two zeros: ##-1## and ##0.8## so you can divide ##f(x)## by ##(x+1)## and ##(x-0.8)## which allows you a fast calculation of any value of ##f(x)##.

Likes songoku
Fresh, f(1) is trivial to solve, I don't see why you need to factor it. And I think it is -1.6.

Also, f is clearly decreasing at 0 at least, since the linear term dominates there and is negative sloped.

songoku said:
Homework Statement:: Let ##f(x)=x^4+0.2x^3-5.8x^2-x+4, 0 \leq x \leq 1.67##
Office_Shredder said:
Fresh, f(1) is trivial to solve, I don't see why you need to factor it. And I think it is -1.6.
Also, f is clearly decreasing at 0 at least, since the linear term dominates there and is negative sloped.
I used ##x^4+0.2*x^3-5.8*x^2-x+4=1## in WolframAlpha and got ##0.67.## Yes, factorization may not be necessary, but I use every chance I get to make students practice long division. And knowing the zeroes helps to visualize the function.

Fresh, you've made things too complicated. f(x) is the polynomial we have already been given. We want to solve for f(1). It looks like you're trying to find ##f^{-1}(1)##

Office_Shredder said:
Fresh, you've made things too complicated. f(x) is the polynomial we have already been given. We want to solve for f(1). It looks like you're trying to find ##f^{-1}(1)##
Yes, that's what I thought and why I asked for the meaning of ##f^{-1}##. It exists on the given interval, and to actually invert it there is more complicated than to calculate ##f(1)##.

Maybe you missed post #3? They didn't need to compute ##f^{-1}## for the first part.

fresh_42 said:
I encountered these two terms a few times but I still don't understand the difference. What is the difference between ##f^{-1}## as inverse function and set ##f^{-1}=\{y\in \mathbb{R}\, : \,y=f(x)\text{ for some }x\}?## ?

Office_Shredder said:
When you apply f to both sides of an inequality, that only preserves the inequality if f is an increasing function. If f is decreasing, if flips the inequality (e.g. multiply both sides by -1). If f is neither, then you can't really say much about the inequality after applying f to both sides.
What is the logic behind this? Why when applying f to both sides we need to consider increasing and decreasing function?

Thanks

songoku said:
What is the logic behind this? Why when applying f to both sides we need to consider increasing and decreasing function?

Thanks
An increasing function by definition is one for which if ##x< y##, then ##f(x)< (y)##, or to put it in words, as x increases, ##f(x)## increases. A decreasing function goes the other way, if ##x<y##, then ##f(x) > f(y)##.

It helps to think of the functions ##f(x)=2x## and ##f(x)=-x##. You should already be familiar that applying the first one to both sides of an inequality preserves the inequality, and applying the second one flips it.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
I encountered these two terms a few times but I still don't understand the difference. What is the difference between ##f^{-1}## as inverse function and set ##f^{-1}=\{y\in \mathbb{R}\, : \,y=f(x)\text{ for some }x\}?## ?
Consider ##f(x)=|x|##. It has no global inverse function, but you can define its pre-images: ##f^{-1}(1)=\{\pm 1\}## or ##f^{-1}(\mathbb{R}_{>0})=\mathbb{R},f^{-1}(\mathbb{R}_{<0})=\emptyset .##

If we restrict ourselves to the nonnegative part of the domain, ##f:\mathbb{R}{>0} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,f(x)=|x|=x,## then it has an inverse: ##f^{-1}=f## which is itself in this case.

So the basic difference is, that one is a function, and the other one is a set.

Likes songoku
fresh_42 said:
Consider ##f(x)=|x|##. It has no global inverse function, but you can define its pre-images: ##f^{-1}(1)=\{\pm 1\}## or ##f^{-1}(\mathbb{R}_{>0})=\mathbb{R},f^{-1}(\mathbb{R}_{<0})=\emptyset .##

If we restrict ourselves to the nonnegative part of the domain, ##f:\mathbb{R}{>0} \longrightarrow \mathbb{R}\, , \,f(x)=|x|=x,## then it has an inverse: ##f^{-1}=f## which is itself in this case.

So the basic difference is, that one is a function, and the other one is a set.
I think I understand it a bit more now. So the notation ##f^{-1}## does not always mean inverse function

Thank you very much for the help and explanation fresh_42 and Office_Shredder

1. What is a composite function involving inverse?

A composite function involving inverse is a mathematical expression that combines two functions in a specific way, where one function is the inverse of the other. In other words, the output of the first function becomes the input of the second function, and vice versa.

2. How do you solve an inequality of a composite function involving inverse?

To solve an inequality of a composite function involving inverse, you must first isolate the inverse function on one side of the inequality. Then, you can use algebraic techniques to solve for the variable. Finally, you must check your solution to ensure that it satisfies the original inequality.

3. What are the common methods used to solve inequalities of composite functions involving inverse?

The most common methods used to solve inequalities of composite functions involving inverse include substitution, graphing, and using the properties of inverse functions. These methods can help you to find the solution set of the inequality.

4. Can an inequality of a composite function involving inverse have multiple solutions?

Yes, an inequality of a composite function involving inverse can have multiple solutions. This is because the inverse function may have multiple inputs that produce the same output, known as a one-to-many relationship. Therefore, when solving the inequality, you may end up with more than one possible solution.

5. Are there any restrictions or limitations when solving inequalities of composite functions involving inverse?

Yes, there are some restrictions or limitations when solving inequalities of composite functions involving inverse. For example, the inverse function must exist and be well-defined for the given domain of the original function. Additionally, some algebraic techniques may not be applicable in certain cases, such as when the functions involved are not invertible or when the inequality involves complex numbers.