Solution to a PDE (heat equation) with one initial condition

In summary, the student is trying to find a solution to the diffusion equation with the given initial condition. They have attempted to find a solution at steady state and are now stuck. They are seeking guidance on using the method of separation of variables and solving for Fourier coefficients using orthogonality and Fourier series.
frenchkiki

Homework Statement

By trial and error, find a solution of the diffusion equation du/dt = d^2u / dx^2 with
the initial condition u(x, 0) = x^2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Given the initial condition, I tried finding a solution at the steady state (du/dt=0) which gives me d^2u / dx^2 = 0, from I found u(x,0)=c_1 + c_2 x = x^2 and now I am stuck. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]u_t = u_{xx}[/itex] with [itex]u(x,0) = x^2[/itex].

The basic solution is of the form [itex]u(x,t) = \varphi(x)\psi(t)[/itex].
You would use the method of separation of variables.
$$
\begin{cases}
\varphi = A\cos\lambda x + B\frac{\sin\lambda x}{\lambda}\\
\psi = C\exp(-\lambda^2t)
\end{cases}
$$
The above is basic and nothing ground breaking.
Right now your solution is of the form
$$
a_0 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}\left[\left(A_n\cos\lambda_n x + B_n\frac{\sin\lambda_n x}{\lambda}\right)\exp(-\lambda^2t)\right]
$$
When you have non-homogeneous boundary conditions, you would solve the steady state solution. What are your BC?
I would then use the orthogonality and Fourier series to finish the problem solving for the Fourier coefficients.

1. What is a PDE (partial differential equation)?

A PDE is a type of mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used to model physical phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the heat equation?

The heat equation is a specific type of PDE that describes the flow of heat in a given region over time. It is typically used to model heat transfer in materials and can be solved to determine the distribution of temperature over time.

3. How is a PDE with one initial condition solved?

To solve a PDE with one initial condition, a technique called the method of separation of variables is often used. This involves separating the equation into two simpler equations and solving each one separately before combining the solutions to obtain the final solution.

4. What is an initial condition in the context of PDEs?

An initial condition is a set of conditions that specify the values of the dependent variables at the beginning of the problem, typically at time t=0. In the heat equation, this would be the initial temperature distribution in the region being modeled.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving PDEs with one initial condition?

PDEs with one initial condition are used in a variety of fields, such as heat transfer in materials, diffusion of chemicals in a medium, and modeling the spread of diseases. They are also commonly used in financial modeling and population dynamics.