Solution to system of linear equations in range of system matrix

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
kalleC
Messages
9
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


See image. a) and b) have been solved. The problem is c)


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I really have no idea where to begin. For the three systems given there are solutions x in range(A) for system 1 and 2 but not for 3. Therefore I have been trying to spot some obvious difference between system matrix A of system 2 and 3 but I cannot think of any clearly different property that could be linked to b.

Any hint just to get me started would be much appreciated.
 
Attachments
  • problem.jpg
    problem.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 655
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Ask yourself whether [itex]A^T y = 0 [/tex] has solutions such that [itex]y^T b \neq 0[/itex].<br /> <br /> Try it yourself first. Then if you think you know what is going on, look at the wikipedia entry under Fredholm alternative.[/itex]