Solution vs Colloid naming convention

• Thread starter Qshadow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convention
In summary, the proper naming convention for Colloid substances is to refer to the solid phase as either the solid or discrete phase, and the liquid phase as the medium, solvent, or continuous phase. The term "colloid" can refer to both the solid suspended in the medium and the entire colloidal suspension, so it is important to clarify which meaning is being used. As such, it is recommended to use the full term "colloidal suspension" rather than shortening it.
Qshadow
I know about chemical and physical differences between Solution and Colloid, but I can't find anywhere what is the right naming convention for Colloid substances. Let me explain:

For Solution we have:
Solute dissolved in Solvent called a Solution.

For Colloid we have:
"1st substance" dispersed in "2nd substance" called a Colloid.

So is there a proper chemical definition for 1st and 2nd substances?
Definitely it can't be Solute and Solvent, since it is not a Solution.

I ask because write now I have to write in my work:
"Substance in which the dispersion happens" or "Substance Dispersed" every time, which is very cumbersome.

Regards,
Qshadow.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is rarely as clear cut as you make it out. Its most common that the solid phase (hint hint) is also in solution. So, distinguising between the chemical compounds based on the phase they are in is a bit problematical.
colloid is both the solid suspended in the medium and the entire colloidal suspension. That is, the word has two meanings. IOW you could use it to mean the solid phase. To be clear call it the solid phase. Or call it the discrete phase. The (liquid) is called the medium, the solvent, or the continuous phase. (obviously if the discrete phase is not a solid, then don't call it that, LOL)
The colloid should be called the colloidal suspension rather than shortening it as you have done. Since it might be unclear, you need the full monty.

1. What is the difference between a solution and a colloid?

A solution is a homogeneous mixture of two or more substances, where the solute particles are evenly dispersed throughout the solvent. A colloid, on the other hand, is a heterogeneous mixture in which the particles of the dispersed phase are larger than those found in a solution, but smaller than those found in a suspension.

2. How are solutions and colloids named differently?

Solutions are named based on the chemical composition of the solute and solvent, while colloids are named based on the type of particles present in the dispersed phase. For example, a solution of sodium chloride in water is simply called a saltwater solution, while a colloid of milk is called a milk emulsion.

3. Can a solution also be a colloid?

No, a solution and a colloid are two distinct types of mixtures. However, colloids can contain small amounts of dissolved substances, making them a combination of both a solution and a colloid.

4. How does the naming convention for solutions and colloids impact their properties?

The naming convention for solutions and colloids does not directly impact their properties. However, the size and type of particles present in a solution or colloid can greatly affect their physical and chemical properties, such as solubility, stability, and reaction rates.

5. Why is it important to have a specific naming convention for solutions and colloids?

A specific naming convention helps to accurately describe and distinguish between different types of mixtures. This is important in chemistry and other scientific fields where precise terminology is necessary for clear communication and understanding.