Solutions for a quadratic system of equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the solutions to a system of equations representing the conservation of momentum and energy in a Newton's cradle with 5 balls. The background information is that the first ball is pulled away and released with a velocity of 1, and the mass of each ball is 1. The conversation mentions some solutions that have been found, and the possibility of more solutions existing. The conversation also discusses the physical implications of velocity inequality and using numerical solvers to find solutions.
greypilgrim
Hi,

I'm looking for the real solutions to the system
\begin{array}{rcl} 1 & = & v_1+v_2+v_3+v_4+v_5 \\ 1 & = & v_1^2+v_2^2+v_3^2+v_4^2+v_5^2 \end{array}

Background: I'm looking at a Newton's cradle with 5 balls, each of mass ##m=1##. The first ball is pulled away and let go such that it hits the others with velocity ##v=1##. Above equations are conservation of momentum and energy. I know that Newton's cradle is more complicated and restricts the solutions much more, I just want to find out which dynamics are allowed from momentum and energy conservation only.

Some solutions I've found:
  1. ##v_1=v_2=v_3=v_4=0,v_5=1##
  2. ##v_1=-\frac{1}{3},v_2=v_3=0,v_4=v_5=\frac{2}{3}##
  3. ##v_1=-\frac{1}{2},v_2=0,v_3=v_4=v_5=\frac{1}{2}##
  4. ##v_1=-\frac{3}{5},v_2=v_3=v_4=v_5=\frac{2}{5}##
And of course all permutations of these solutions.

Are there more? If so, how can I find them?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can substitute ##v_1## in the second equation with the first one which leaves you with one equation with four variables. This defines you a 4-dimensional manifold in I suppose ##ℝ^5##. I guess something parabolic or so. I have no idea how to imagine it. The number of solutions, however, is infinite., i.e. you can't write them down.

What if I make the situation more physical by imposing the inequality$$v_1\leq\ v_2\leq\ v_3\leq\ v_4\leq\ v_5,$$
i.e. no ball can overtake its neighbours? Are there still infinitely many solutions?

greypilgrim said:
What if I make the situation more physical by imposing the inequality$$v_1\leq\ v_2\leq\ v_3\leq\ v_4\leq\ v_5,$$
i.e. no ball can overtake its neighbours? Are there still infinitely many solutions?
That's like cutting an - what is quadrant in the 5th dimension? - out and consider it. As long as the velocities are continuous you need more equations to get a unique answer. You can probably have further limitations and find some numerical solutions by using an appropriate software tool.
But can't you assume an elastic collision where the full energy is transmitted? I don't know where to read about the physics of it. On the Wiki-page of Newton's cradle there are some numbers and descriptions that might help you.

You could try a numerical solver. MATLAB's fsolve finds two different solutions from what you found by simply varying the initial guess.

1. What is a quadratic system of equations?

A quadratic system of equations is a set of two equations with two variables, where one or both of the equations are quadratic (contain a variable raised to the power of 2).

2. How do you solve a quadratic system of equations?

To solve a quadratic system of equations, you can use one of three methods: substitution, elimination, or graphing. Substitution involves solving one equation for one variable and plugging it into the other equation. Elimination involves adding or subtracting the two equations to eliminate one of the variables. Graphing involves graphing both equations on the same coordinate plane and finding the intersection point.

3. Can a quadratic system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a quadratic system of equations can have zero, one, or two solutions. This depends on the nature of the equations and how they intersect on the coordinate plane.

4. What is the difference between consistent and inconsistent quadratic systems of equations?

A consistent quadratic system of equations has at least one solution, while an inconsistent quadratic system of equations has no solutions. This can be determined by graphing the equations or solving them using substitution or elimination.

5. Are there real-life applications for solving quadratic systems of equations?

Yes, solving quadratic systems of equations is a useful skill in many fields, such as engineering, economics, and physics. For example, it can be used to model and solve problems involving projectile motion, optimization, and financial planning.