Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] are solutions of the one-dimensional time-dependent Schrodinger's wave equations.
    (a) Show that [tex] \psi_{1} + \psi_{2} [/tex] is a solution.

(b) Is [tex] \psi_{1} \cdot \psi_{2} [/tex] a solution of the Schrodinger's equation in general?

2. Relevant equations
    Is this the "One-Dimensional Time-Dependent Schodinger's Wave Equation":
    [tex] \eta = \imath \hbar \cdot \frac{1}{\phi(t)} \cdot \frac{\partial \phi(t)}{ \partial t}[/tex]

If so, it says in my book that the solution is [tex] \phi(t) = e^{- \imath (\frac{E}{\hbar})t [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a feeling that all I have to do is show that these solutions are linear, then use the superposition technique.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Your relevant equation is *half* of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation in the special case that there is no potential energy, and *after* separation of variables has been performed in x and t. (The other half involves x, and not t.)

Yes, linearity and superposition is the key point.

4. Sep 5, 2007 #3
    So I don't really even need to know what the solutions are? All I need to do is some sort of "proof" that the sum of the two solutions to the linear P.D.E. is also a solution?

If that is the case, do you think you could help me get started with working that out?

5. Sep 5, 2007 #4
    Could you please write the full time-dependent schodinger equation?

6. Sep 5, 2007 #5
    Anyone?

7. Sep 5, 2007 #6

Avodyne

Science Advisor

In one space dimension, the full time-dependent Schrodinger equation is

[tex]i\hbar{\partial\over\partial t}\psi(x,t) = \left[-{\hbar^2\over2m}{\partial^2\over\partial x^2}+V(x)\right]\psi(x,t)[/tex]

Edit: the derivative on the right-hand side is wrt x, now fixed and correct.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  8. Sep 5, 2007 #7
    So how do I show that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] have linearity and superposition can be used to create a third solution?

9. Sep 5, 2007 #8

Avodyne

Science Advisor

You know that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] obey this equation. You want to show that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) + \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] does as well. So, plug [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) + \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] into the equation. Can you used what you know to show that the result is true?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook