1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solutions to Schrodinger's Wave Equation

1. Sep 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] are solutions of the one-dimensional time-dependent Schrodinger's wave equations.
    (a) Show that [tex] \psi_{1} + \psi_{2} [/tex] is a solution.

(b) Is [tex] \psi_{1} \cdot \psi_{2} [/tex] a solution of the Schrodinger's equation in general?

2. Relevant equations
    Is this the "One-Dimensional Time-Dependent Schodinger's Wave Equation":
    [tex] \eta = \imath \hbar \cdot \frac{1}{\phi(t)} \cdot \frac{\partial \phi(t)}{ \partial t}[/tex]

If so, it says in my book that the solution is [tex] \phi(t) = e^{- \imath (\frac{E}{\hbar})t [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have a feeling that all I have to do is show that these solutions are linear, then use the superposition technique.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

Your relevant equation is *half* of the time-dependent Schrodinger equation in the special case that there is no potential energy, and *after* separation of variables has been performed in x and t. (The other half involves x, and not t.)

Yes, linearity and superposition is the key point.
  4. Sep 5, 2007 #3
    So I don't really even need to know what the solutions are? All I need to do is some sort of "proof" that the sum of the two solutions to the linear P.D.E. is also a solution?

If that is the case, do you think you could help me get started with working that out?
  5. Sep 5, 2007 #4
    Could you please write the full time-dependent schodinger equation?
  6. Sep 5, 2007 #5
  7. Sep 5, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

In one space dimension, the full time-dependent Schrodinger equation is

[tex]i\hbar{\partial\over\partial t}\psi(x,t) = \left[-{\hbar^2\over2m}{\partial^2\over\partial x^2}+V(x)\right]\psi(x,t)[/tex]

Edit: the derivative on the right-hand side is wrt x, now fixed and correct.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  8. Sep 5, 2007 #7
    So how do I show that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] have linearity and superposition can be used to create a third solution?
  9. Sep 5, 2007 #8

Science Advisor

You know that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] obey this equation. You want to show that [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) + \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] does as well. So, plug [tex] \psi_{1}(x,t) + \psi_{2}(x,t) [/tex] into the equation. Can you used what you know to show that the result is true?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?