Solve a Complex Number Question: z = a/b and 1/(a+b) = 1/a + 1/b?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
lockedup
Messages
67
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

If [tex]z = \frac{a}{b}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{1}{a + b} = \frac{1}{a} + \frac{1}{b}[/tex], find z.



Homework Equations

I'm pretty sure z is a complex number.



The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to start. The teacher did nothing like this in class. I tried something that involved combining the fractions on the right hand side and then cross-multiplying with the fraction on the left hand side. I played around with that for a few minutes but it didn't give me anything.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I am confused about what you are asking. z is defined. Are you trying to get z in different terms than above? Or perhaps in cartesian/standard or polar form?
 
lockedup said:
I tried something that involved combining the fractions on the right hand side and then cross-multiplying with the fraction on the left hand side. I played around with that for a few minutes but it didn't give me anything.

Keep playing. It works out.
 
Multiply both sides of your equation by (a+b) and try to reduce the right side to terms that are constants or a/b, or b/a. a/b=z. Doesn't that make b/a=1/z? Write it all in terms of z. Think 'quadratic equation'.
 
I think I got it. I substituted zb for a. I combined and cross multiplied again. I ended up with [tex]z = \frac{-1}{2} \pm \frac{i\sqrt{3}}{2}[/tex]

Now I need to check it...