Manipulating a Laurent Series Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with transforming an equation from a textbook into a sum of fractions using a Taylor expansion. The user has attempted to show the equality of both sides but is confused on how to proceed with expressing the function as a Laurent expansion. Suggestions are given to use the Taylor series and to adjust the signs of the terms accordingly. After a good night's rest, the user is able to prove the equivalence and thanks everyone for their help and advice.
cpburris
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Show the following:
##
{\frac{1}{z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+...\right)}}={{\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}}
##
Relevant Equations
None
Not really a homework problem, just an equation from my textbook that I do not understand. I can't think of any way to even begin manipulating the right hand side to make it equal the left hand side.

Just to confirm equality (thanks to another user for suggestion), I multiplied both sides by of the equation by
##{z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+...\right)}##
to see if the right hand side equaled one. So,
##{z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+...\right)}\left({\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}\right)=\left({z^5}-\frac{z^7}{3!}+\frac{z^9}{5!}-\frac{z^{11}}{7!}+...\right)\left({\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}\right)##
##=1+\frac{z^2}{6}-\mbox{ no terms of order }z^2+...##
With no other terms of order ##z^2## it isn't clear to me that the series should converge to one.

Edit: Working on trying to figure something out, will update with any progress. Also thank you to whoever edited my title!

Edit 2: Some mistakes were made in my attempt to show the equality. Looking at it again after taking a break I was able to show that indeed both sides of the equation are equivalent.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not clear if you want to do this on your own, or if you need assistance.
Several approaches are possible. What path do you have in mind ?

[edit]
cpburris said:
that I do not understand.
Can you tell us a bit more what you mean with that ?

Last edited:
BvU said:

Maybe my brain is just fried from too much studying, but I really cannot come up with where to start. I edited the post with an attempt to just show that the equality is valid, but that just confused me more. I would appreciate someone just giving me a full explanation but any assistance or hints you can provide would be great.

BvU said:

[edit]
Can you tell us a bit more what you mean with that ?

Sure, I will try. I have dealt with plenty of problem where
functions such as
##\frac{1}{x^2-1}## which have denominators which are sums can be transformed into a sum of fractions via a Taylor Expansion. This is however an example where the denominator is already an infinite sum, and I do not understand how that can be separated into a sum of (infinite) terms. Does that make sense?

Edit: This all comes from an expansion of the sine function in the function ##g(z)=\frac{1}{z^4sin(z)}## in order to show that g(z) can be expressed as a Laurent expansion, in order to then discuss Cauchy Residue Theorem if that helps any.

Last edited:
your approach seems sound. in general, in my experience all computations of inverses of power series proceed from the basic; 1/(1-t) = 1 + t + t^2 + t^3 +..., using various substitutions for t.

In the step $${z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+...\right)}\left({\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}\right)=\left({z^5}-\frac{z^7}{3!}+\frac{z^9}{5!}-\frac{z^{11}}{7!}+...\right)\left({\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}\right)$$ you take the ##z^5## into the first bracket. It's easier to take it into the second.

Then you make a mistake: $$\Bigl (1-{z^2\over 6}...\Bigr )\Bigl (1+ {z^2\over 6} ...\Bigr )$$ has no terms of order ##z^2## !

BvU said:
In the step $${z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+...\right)}\left({\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}\right)=\left({z^5}-\frac{z^7}{3!}+\frac{z^9}{5!}-\frac{z^{11}}{7!}+...\right)\left({\frac{1}{z^5}}+{\frac{1}{6z^3}}+{\frac{7}{360z}}+{\frac{31z}{15120}}+{\vartheta({z^3})}\right)$$ you take the ##z^5## into the first bracket. It's easier to take it into the second.

Then you make a mistake: $$\Bigl (1-{z^2\over 6}...\Bigr )\Bigl (1+ {z^2\over 6} ...\Bigr )$$ has no terms of order ##z^2## !

Ok, after a good nights rest I revisited the problem and was able to properly prove the equivalence of both expressions. However it is still not clear to me how to go about expressing
##f(z)={\frac{1}{z^5\sin(z)}}={\frac{1}{z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+...\right)}} \mbox{ as a Laurent expansion } f(z)=\sum\limits_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}a_nz^n##

Edit: Mistakenly put ##\theta## as the argument of the sine function out of habit. Corrected to be ##z##.

As mathwonk suggested earlier in the thread, you use the Taylor series ##\frac{1}{1-t} = 1+t+t^2+\cdots##. Write
$$\frac{1}{z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+\cdots\right)} = \frac{1}{z^5(1-t)}=\frac{1}{z^5}(1+t+t^2+t^3+\cdots),$$ where ##t = \frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+\cdots.##

Likes benorin
vela said:
As mathwonk suggested earlier in the thread, you use the Taylor series ##\frac{1}{1-t} = 1+t+t^2+\cdots##. Write
$$\frac{1}{z^5\left(1-\frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+\cdots\right)} = \frac{1}{z^5(1-t)}=\frac{1}{z^5}(1+t+t^2+t^3+\cdots),$$ where ##t = \frac{z^2}{3!}+\frac{z^4}{5!}-\frac{z^6}{7!}+\cdots.##

This is precisely as Knopp directs to divide power series in his book "Theory and Applications of Infinite Series," 2nd edition, pgs. 179-181.

OK that all makes sense. I believe I understand it now. Thank you everyone for your help and advice.

but watch your minus signs. for 1-t to equal 1 - z^2/3! + z^4/5! ..., you have to change the signs of every term after the 1, not just the first term z^2/3!, i.e. you need t = z^2/3! - z^4/5!...

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of power series that includes both positive and negative powers of the variable. It is used to represent complex functions that have singularities, or points where the function is undefined.

2. How is the quotient of two Laurent series calculated?

The quotient of two Laurent series is calculated by dividing each term of the first series by each term of the second series. This process is similar to dividing polynomials, but with the addition of negative powers.

3. What is the significance of the quotient of a Laurent series?

The quotient of a Laurent series can provide information about the behavior of a function near its singularities. It can also be used to approximate the value of the function at points near the singularities.

4. Can the quotient of a Laurent series be simplified?

Yes, the quotient of a Laurent series can be simplified by combining like terms and removing any terms with negative powers that have a coefficient of 0. However, the simplified series may not accurately represent the original function near its singularities.

5. How is the radius of convergence affected by taking the quotient of two Laurent series?

The radius of convergence of the quotient of two Laurent series will be equal to the smaller of the two radii of convergence of the original series. This is because the singularities of the original functions may cancel out when divided, resulting in a larger radius of convergence.