Solve a Simple pH Problem: HCl + NaOH → H2O + NaCl

• Thread starter mikesown
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ph
In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a chemistry homework problem involving the mixing of 40.0ml of 0.20M HCl with 40.5ml of 0.20M NaOH. The student is familiar with dissociation of weak acids and bases but is confused about determining the pH of the resulting solution. The expert suggests ignoring the dissociation of water and using the moles of OH- to calculate the pH, pOH, and [H+] of the solution. The expert also provides a helpful resource for further clarification.
mikesown
I'm trying to do this homework problem, and I really am confused about how to do it. I'm familiar with dissociation of weak acids/bases, but I'm pretty confused with this problem(with a strong base and strong acid). The problem is:
"40.0ml of 0.20M HCl is mixed with 40.5ml of 0.20M NaOH. a) Write the overall reaction and the net ionic reaction. b) Determine the [H+],[OH-],pH,pOH of the resulting solution"

I wrote the overall and net ionic reactions, HCl + NaOH -> H2O + NaCl and H+ + OH- -> H2O, which were easy. However, when it comes to determining the pH, I'm confused. Would the H+ and OH- ions cancel out in the solution if they are present in equal ammounts(i.e. the only thing that would matter would be the .5ml excess NaOH)? I tried writing out an ICE(Initial, Change, Equilibrium) table, but I was REALLY confused about whether to use the net ionic reaction or not, and what to place in for the change. Any help would be appriciated with this problem.

Thanks,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you have no weak acid or weak base involved, the problem description presents nothing to confuse you. Simply all of the HCl will be neutralized, and an excess of hydroxide will be present. You can safely ignore any dissociation of water for most of the work.

Moles of OH- = 0.5 * 0.2

[OH-] = (0.5)*(0.2)/(40 + 40.5)

From that, you can obtain pOH, pH, and [H+]

Wouldn't the moles of OH- be .0005 * .2 because the .5 is in mililiters?

mikesown,
You are right. I made a mistake. As long as I multiplied by milliliters, I should have indicated millimoles of hydroxide. I then compensated in my message by dividing by the resulting milliliters of solution.

1. What is the purpose of solving a simple pH problem?

The purpose of solving a simple pH problem is to determine the pH of a solution after a chemical reaction has taken place. This can help us understand the acidity or basicity of a substance and its potential effects on other substances it may come into contact with.

2. How do you calculate the pH of a solution?

The pH of a solution can be calculated using the formula pH = -log[H+], where [H+] represents the concentration of hydrogen ions in the solution. Alternatively, you can use a pH meter to directly measure the pH.

3. What does the chemical equation HCl + NaOH → H2O + NaCl represent?

This chemical equation represents a neutralization reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH). The products of this reaction are water (H2O) and sodium chloride (NaCl).

4. How do you balance a chemical equation like HCl + NaOH → H2O + NaCl?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. In this case, you can balance the equation by adding a coefficient of 2 in front of HCl and NaOH, resulting in 2HCl + 2NaOH → 2H2O + 2NaCl.

5. What is the significance of pH in chemistry?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution. It is an important concept in chemistry as it can affect the properties and behavior of substances, such as their reactivity and solubility. pH also plays a crucial role in many biological processes, including digestion and cellular function.