Solving Net Ionic Equations: NaClO + HCl, NaOH + HClO, FeI3 + KOH

• Thread starter emilysunshine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the net ionic equations for the given reactions are: a. NaClO(aq) + HCl(aq) → Cl2(aq) + NaCl(s) + H2O(l) b. NaOH(aq) + HClO(aq) → NaClO(aq) + H2O(l) c. FeI3(aq) + 3KOH(aq) → Fe(OH)3(s) + 3KI(aq) The formulas are the same, but the net ionic equations include the dissociation of all ions.
emilysunshine
Can someone tell me the full formula and net ion equation for these? I can't seem to get them right even thought I think my answers are right.

a.NaClO(aq) + HCl(aq) →
( I got NaClO(aq) + 2HCl(aq) -> Cl2(aq) + NaCl(s) + H2O(l) but it won't accept my answer, so no idea of net equation.)

b. NaOH(aq) + HClO(aq) →
(The formula is NaOH(aq) + HClO(aq) → NaClO(aq) + H2O(l) but I can't get the net ionic equation right!)

c. FeI3(aq) + KOH(aq) →
(The formula is FeI3(aq) + 3KOH(aq) → Fe(OH)3(s) + 3KI(aq), but I can't get this net ionic equation right either :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Write everything that is dissociated as ions.

--
methods

)

The net ionic equation for a reaction is the equation that shows only the species that are involved in the reaction and their respective charges. To write net ionic equations, you first need to write the balanced molecular equations for each reaction. From there, you can determine which species are aqueous (dissolved in water) and which are solid, liquid, or gas. Only the aqueous species will be included in the net ionic equation.

a. NaClO(aq) + HCl(aq) → NaCl(aq) + H2O(l) + Cl2(g)
Net ionic equation: ClO-(aq) + H+(aq) → H2O(l) + Cl2(g)

b. NaOH(aq) + HClO(aq) → NaClO(aq) + H2O(l)
Net ionic equation: OH-(aq) + H+(aq) → H2O(l)

c. FeI3(aq) + 3KOH(aq) → Fe(OH)3(s) + 3KI(aq)
Net ionic equation: Fe3+(aq) + 3OH-(aq) → Fe(OH)3(s)

1. What are net ionic equations?

Net ionic equations are chemical equations that only show the species that participate in a chemical reaction, omitting spectator ions.

2. What is the purpose of solving net ionic equations?

The purpose of solving net ionic equations is to determine the actual chemical reaction and the substances involved, rather than just the overall balanced equation.

3. How do you solve net ionic equations?

To solve net ionic equations, first write out the balanced molecular equation. Then, identify the spectator ions and eliminate them, leaving only the species that actually participate in the reaction. Finally, balance the resulting net ionic equation.

4. What are the net ionic equations for the given reactions?

The net ionic equations for the given reactions are:
NaClO + HCl → NaCl + H2O + Cl2
NaOH + HClO → NaCl + H2O + O2
FeI3 + KOH → KI + Fe(OH)3

5. What is the significance of net ionic equations in chemistry?

Net ionic equations are important in chemistry because they allow us to focus on the essential components of a chemical reaction and understand the underlying chemical processes. They also help in predicting the products of a reaction and determining the stoichiometry of the reaction.