1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve a system of nonhomogeneous DEs

1. Mar 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve
    $$\ddot {\vec a}=A\vec a+B\dot{ \vec a}+\vec F$$

if A and B are known matrices and F is a constant vector.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My plan was to define ##\vec b=\dot{\vec a}## to move from second order to first order system ##\dot{\vec b}=A\vec a+B\vec b+\vec F##

But now... well, I have got absolutely no idea how to continue! I wanted to use theorem 23 on page 580 in chapter 11.7 in this work: http://www.math.utah.edu/~gustafso/2250systems-de.pdf BUT I have got a ##A\vec a ## term... which... wel... I don't know what to do with it!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##A## is invertible there is no reason to appeal to Theorem 23; that is just "overkill". Think first how you would deal with the scalar DE ##x'' = A x + B x' + c## when ##A, B, c## are constants and ##A \neq 0##.

4. Mar 25, 2016 #3
    In case of a scalar DE i would rewrite your equation to $${x}''-B{x}'-Ax=c$$
    Than the solution of a complementary part are roots of this characteristic equation $$D^2-BD-A=0$$ meaning $$D_{1,2}=\frac B 2 \pm \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A}$$ therefore $$x_{hom}(t)=C_1e^{(\frac B 2 + \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A})t}+C_2e^{(\frac B 2 - \frac 1 2 \sqrt{B^2+4A})t}.$$
    To get the particular solution we could guess it. Or not? Lets say $$x_{part}=C_0$$
    Right?

5. Mar 25, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If ##A,B,C## are constants and ##A \neq 0## the DE ##x'' = Ax + Bx' + C## is the same as the homogeneous DE
    [tex] (x+C/A)'' = A(x+C/A) + B(x+C/A)' . [/tex]

In your case it is not completely clear what to do in the case that ##A## is not invertible and the linear system ##Ar = F## has no solution.

BTW: my answer assumes that you know how to deal with the homogeneous system, and are just confused what to do about the non-homogeneous system (but with a constant "forcing" term).

6. Mar 25, 2016 #5
    If I understand you correctly, than in my case of system of equations and assuming A is invertible $${(x-A^{-1}C)}''=A(x-A^{-1}C)+B{(x-A^{-1}C)}'$$ with ##x## being a vector ##\vec x=(x(t),y(t))## or did I not understand you correctly?

Your assumption is wrong, to be honest. I am sure I used to know how to do this with matrices, yet I can't seem to remember, nor can I find any good paper with a nice explanation and an example.

However, if I define ##\vec y=(\vec x-A^{-1}C)## than the equation above can be written $${\vec y}''-B{\vec y}'-A\vec y=0.$$

Now all I was able to figure out from several papers is that it makes sense to define ##\vec u ={\vec y}'## to reduce the order of the differential equation. Doing so brings me to $$ { \vec u}'-B\vec u-A\vec y=0.$$

Now you can safely assume that the ##-A\vec y## term is confusing me. Without it I would find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a matrix B. With that term I have no idea!

7. Mar 25, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The standard method is to re-write your system as
    [tex] \vec{y}' = \vec{u}, \; \; \vec{u}' = A \vec{y} + B \vec{u}[/tex]
    or
    [tex] \frac{d}{dt}\pmatrix{y \\ u} = \pmatrix{0 & I \\ A & B} \pmatrix{y\\u} [/tex]
    This is of the form ##\vec{z}' = {\mathbf M} \vec{z} ##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted