Finding q1 when q2 is in equilibrium with charges 10 cm and 20 cm apart

  • Thread starter Thread starter jfusion
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Law
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 15K views
jfusion
Messages
5
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Charge q2 in the figure(Figure 1) is in static equilibrium. Assume that q = 4.4nC .

Figure:http://session.masteringphysics.com/myct/itemView?assignmentProblemID=31833513&offset=prev

what is q1 ( distance between q2 and q is 10com and distance between q1 and q2 is 20cm)

Homework Equations


F=k*q1*q2/(2d)^2 + k*q*q2/d^2 = 0

I then isolate for q1

The Attempt at a Solution


My answer is 1.7x10^-8 C which is wrong, I have converted all givens to Standard units
 
Physics news on Phys.org
We don't have access to the figure since we can't log into the publisher's site.
 
Thanks for pointing that out, here's the image
 
Attachments
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,969
Maybe it's just a matter of rounding or sig figs.
 
i don't believe so, do you come to the same conclusion?
 
Yes, but when I round to two sig figs, I get a slightly different answer. Also, it could be that you didn't specify the correct sign of the charge.
 
what do get as your final answer? and the charge would be + correct?