Solve differential equation with boundary conditions using substitution

In summary, to solve the equation μ^{2}\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}+ae^{u}=0 with boundary conditions u(-L)=u(L)=u_{0}, one can use the method of multiplying by \frac{du}{dx} and integrating in x. Another method is to rewrite the equation as \mu^2 '' = -ae^\mu and solve for a general solution, then use the boundary conditions to solve for the constants. However, a more accurate method is to multiply by u' and integrate, which leads to a solution in terms of x(u) which can then be inverted to obtain u(x).
cheesecake91
μ[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+ae[itex]^{u}[/itex]=0

Boundary conditions: u(-L)=u(L)=u[itex]_{0}[/itex]

Solve by multiplying by [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] and integrating in x

I know you have to use substitution, but I keep going in circles.

Physics news on Phys.org
cheesecake91 said:
μ[itex]^{2}[/itex][itex]\frac{d^{2}u}{dx^{2}}[/itex]+ae[itex]^{u}[/itex]=0

Boundary conditions: u(-L)=u(L)=u[itex]_{0}[/itex]

Solve by multiplying by [itex]\frac{du}{dx}[/itex] and integrating in x

I know you have to use substitution, but I keep going in circles.

The way that I would do it would be to rewrite the equation as
[itex]\mu[/itex][itex]^2[/itex] [itex]'' = -ae^\mu[/itex]

Then you solve for a general solution which is
[itex]\mu(x) = 1 + x[/itex]

Then you go on to get your general solution from the boundaries and such.

Another method, which would probably be easier and is what I think you were trying to do is to just integrate twice and get:
[itex]\frac{\mu^4}{12} = -ae^\mu + \mu*c_1 + c_2[/itex]

That may be slightly off, but try integrating it yourself, and then use your boundary conditions to solve for the constants.

Last edited:
Hi !
I think that the two methods proposed by danielu13 are both incorrect.
Better follow the advice given in the wording : multiply by u'
m² u'' +a exp(u) = 0
m² 2 u''u' +2a exp(u) u' = 0 and integrate :
m² u'² +2a exp(u) = c
m u' = (+ or -)sqrt(c-2a exp(u))
Case +sqrt :
m (du/dx) = sqrt(c-2a exp(u))
dx = m du / sqrt(c-2a exp(u))
Then integrate, which gives x(u)
and invert it to obtain u(x).

1. How do I know which substitution to use when solving a differential equation?

The substitution you use will depend on the type of differential equation you are solving. Some common substitutions include u-substitution, trigonometric substitution, and power series substitution. It is important to carefully examine the differential equation and its boundary conditions to determine which substitution will be most effective.

2. Do I need to check my solution after using substitution to solve a differential equation?

Yes, it is important to always check your solution after using substitution to solve a differential equation. This will ensure that your solution satisfies both the original differential equation and the given boundary conditions.

3. Can I use substitution to solve any type of differential equation with boundary conditions?

No, substitution is not always the most effective method for solving a differential equation with boundary conditions. It is important to consider other techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and Laplace transforms when solving differential equations.

4. What are the benefits of using substitution to solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?

Substitution can be a powerful method for solving differential equations with boundary conditions because it allows you to transform the original equation into a simpler form that is easier to solve. This can save time and effort compared to other methods.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when using substitution to solve a differential equation with boundary conditions?

Yes, there are some common mistakes to avoid when using substitution to solve a differential equation with boundary conditions. These include using the wrong substitution, making calculation errors, and forgetting to check the solution. It is important to carefully follow the steps of substitution and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.