Solve Diophantine Eqn: 7x+4y=100 | X & Y Answers

In summary, the conversation discusses two different answers to the question of solving 7x+4y=100 using the Diophantine method. While one answer is correct, the other is incorrect and may be due to a misinterpretation or misuse of the method. Both answers can be used to find the values of x and y, but the reasoning behind the correct answer is unclear.
Ling Min Hao
The given question required me to solve 7x+4y =100 by using diophantine equation . I get an answer for x = 100 - 4t and y = 200 - 7t . But his given answer is x = 4t and y = 25-7t . I think both of mine and the answer given is correct but I can't figure out how he get another solution

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ling Min Hao said:
The given question required me to solve 7x+4y =100 by using diophantine equation . I get an answer for x = 100 - 4t and y = 200 - 7t . But his given answer is x = 4t and y = 25-7t . I think both of mine and the answer given is correct but I can't figure out how he get another solution
Your answer is obviously incorrect. Using your result, 7x+4y=1500-56t. Your answer is correct for -7x+y=100.

His answer is correct.

mathman said:
Your answer is correct for -7x+y=100.
I think you mean -7x+4y=100.

mfb said:
I think you mean -7x+4y=100.
You are right - my typo.

mathman said:
Your answer is obviously incorrect. Using your result, 7x+4y=1500-56t. Your answer is correct for -7x+y=100.

His answer is correct.
Both answer is correct since both can be used to find the value of x and y , it's just I don't understand how he get the answer using dio phantine method

Ling Min Hao said:
Both answer is correct since both can be used to find the value of x and y , it's just I don't understand how he get the answer using dio phantine method
I am not familiar with the Diophantine method. However, by substituting your answer into the original equation, it is obviously wrong. His answer is obviously correct. I can only guess you are misusing the Diophantine method.

1. What is a Diophantine equation?

A Diophantine equation is an algebraic equation in which the variables are restricted to be integers. It is named after the ancient Greek mathematician Diophantus.

2. How do you solve a Diophantine equation?

To solve a Diophantine equation, you need to find integer values for the variables that satisfy the equation. This can be done through various techniques such as substitution, elimination, or using modular arithmetic.

3. What is the solution to the equation 7x+4y=100?

The solution to the equation 7x+4y=100 is x=8 and y=5. This means that when x=8 and y=5, the equation is satisfied and both x and y are integers.

4. Are there other solutions to the equation 7x+4y=100?

Yes, there are infinitely many solutions to this equation. For example, x=12 and y=2 is also a solution. In general, for any integer value of x, there will be a corresponding integer value of y that satisfies the equation.

5. How are Diophantine equations used in real life?

Diophantine equations are used in various fields of mathematics such as number theory and algebra. They also have applications in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. In real life, they can be used to solve problems related to finding integer solutions to equations, such as in scheduling or resource allocation.