Solve "Find the Equation of the Line with Gradient 3/4 Passing Through (7,11)

In summary, the equation of the line with gradient 3/4 that passes through the point (7,11) can be expressed as 3x-4y+23 = 0 or y = (3/4)x + (23/4).
tinybang
In need of help. Ill write it is how it is in the textbook.

Find the equation of the line having gradient 3/4, that passes through 7,11.
Express your answer in the form i) ax + by + c =0 and ii) y = mx + c

As one point and the gradient are known, use the formula: y - y1 = m(x-x1)

Plug in numbers is y-11 = 3/4(x-7)
Simplify expressing in the form ax + by + c = 0

y-11 = 3/4(x-7)
4y-44 = 3(x-7)
4y-44=3x -21
Heres where I am really baffled next step is
3x-4y+23 = 0

In algebra don't you do what you do to the right what you do to the left? How does moving a positive 3x in front of the 4y put a minus sign in front of 4y. What am i doing here exactly??

Physics news on Phys.org
tinybang said:
In need of help. Ill write it is how it is in the textbook.

Find the equation of the line having gradient 3/4, that passes through 7,11.
Express your answer in the form i) ax + by + c =0 and ii) y = mx + c

As one point and the gradient are known, use the formula: y - y1 = m(x-x1)

Plug in numbers is y-11 = 3/4(x-7)
Simplify expressing in the form ax + by + c = 0

y-11 = 3/4(x-7)
4y-44 = 3(x-7)
4y-44=3x -21
Heres where I am really baffled next step is
3x-4y+23 = 0

In algebra don't you do what you do to the right what you do to the left? How does moving a positive 3x in front of the 4y put a minus sign in front of 4y. What am i doing here exactly??
I've always disliked the idea of "moving" something from one side of an equation to the other! "Moving" a number or expression is NOT an arithmetic or algebraic step.

What you are doing is subtracting 4y from both sides of the equation and adding 21 to both sides of the equation. Do those two things to 4y- 44= 3x- 21 and see what you get.

HallsofIvy said:
I've always disliked the idea of "moving" something from one side of an equation to the other! "Moving" a number or expression is NOT an arithmetic or algebraic step.

What you are doing is subtracting 4y from both sides of the equation and adding 21 to both sides of the equation. Do those two things to 4y- 44= 3x- 21 and see what you get.

One can say, "apply the appropriate additive and multiplicative inverses to have the variable on one side and just the constants on the other side". Nice but very wordy.

1. What is the definition of "gradient" in this context?

In this context, the term "gradient" refers to the slope of a line, which is the measure of the steepness of the line.

2. How do you find the equation of a line with a given gradient and point?

To find the equation of a line with a given gradient and point, you can use the slope-intercept form: y = mx + b. In this form, m represents the gradient and b represents the y-intercept. Plug in the given gradient and point into the equation, and then solve for b. The resulting equation will be the equation of the line.

3. What does the point (7,11) represent in the equation?

The point (7,11) represents a specific coordinate on the line. The first number (7) is the x-coordinate, and the second number (11) is the y-coordinate. This point serves as a reference for finding the y-intercept and ultimately, the equation of the line.

4. Can you find the equation of a line with a gradient of 0?

Yes, you can find the equation of a line with a gradient of 0. In this case, the line would be horizontal and have a slope of 0. The equation would be in the form y = b, where b is the y-intercept.

5. How does the gradient affect the steepness of a line?

The gradient directly affects the steepness of a line. A larger gradient (or slope) means the line is steeper, while a smaller gradient means the line is less steep. A gradient of 0 means the line is completely flat, and a gradient of undefined means the line is vertical.