Solve for a,b,c in y = ax(cubed) + bx(squared) + c

• Thread starter mathmann
  • Start date
In summary, the slope of the curve y = ax(cubed) + bx(squared) + c is -12 at its point of inflection (2,-11), find a,b,c.
mathmann

Homework Statement

The slope of the curve y = ax(cubed) + bx(squared) + c is -12 at its point of inflection (2,-11), find a,b,c.

Homework Equations

f ' (x) = 3ax(squared) + 2bx
f " (x) = 3ax + 2b

The Attempt at a Solution

f ' (x) = 3ax(squared) + 2bx
-12 = 3a2(squared) + 2b(2)
-12 = 12a + 4b
b = -3a - 3

-12 = 3a(2)(sqrd) + 2(-3a -3)
a = -1

b = 0

-11 = ax(cubed) + bx(sqrd) + c
c = -3

Physics news on Phys.org
That is correct.

Another way to do it, and probably the one "expected" from you, is to use the fact that at the point of inflection, f''(x)=0.

not exactly sure how to do that..

6ax + 2b = 0?

Yes, that's right. Therefore b = -6a. Solve for a.

so b = 6 not 0?

mathmann said:
so b = 6 not 0?

No, no!
b = -6a is one relation, and is b = -3a - 3 is another. Now solve for a. Sorry for the confusion.

ur solution in OP is wrong . Check out step 5.

which do you consider step 5?

-12 = 3a(2)(sqrd) + 2(-3a -3)(?)
a 2 is missing in (?)

ok so a = 0 now

Sorry, my bad. As Sourabh has pointed out, your solution in the first post is in fact incorrect. a is not 0. What you would get from "step 5" is 0=0. That is because you got the relation bet. a and b from that very equation.

As I said earlier, use b = -6a and b = -3a -3 to solve for a.

-12=3ax(sqrd)+2(-6a)x
a=-1
b=6
c=-27

Last edited:
mathmann said:
a=-1
Check again.

Once you get values for a, b and c, you can check if they are right by putting x=2 in the original equation and looking at the value you end up with.

ok I am confused now.. I've found new values fro a(1),b(6) and c(5) but x doesn't = 2 when i enter it into the original equation.

Last edited:
i think there's again a calculation mistake in #12.
-12 = 3a2(sqrd) + 2(-6a)2
-12 = -12a
a=1.

ok i got that one are the other two right? b=6 and c=5?

b = -6 (b = -6a, remember?)

no. b=-6a=-6

-11 = 1*2(cubed) - 6*2(sqrd) +c

a=1, b=-6, c =5

is this correct?

You should get 3 equations:

[tex]12a + 2b = 0[/tex] (from 2nd derivative)
[tex]12a + 4b = -12[/tex] (from 1st derivative)
[tex]8a + 4b + c = -11[/tex] (from original equation)

Just solve for a,b,c from that info... I think you have all the right ideas, just getting wrong values.

1. What does the equation y = ax(cubed) + bx(squared) + c represent?

The equation y = ax(cubed) + bx(squared) + c represents a cubic polynomial function. It is a mathematical expression that represents a relationship between a dependent variable (y) and one or more independent variables (a, b, and c).

2. How can I solve for a, b, and c in this equation?

To solve for a, b, and c in this equation, you can use a variety of methods such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. These methods involve manipulating the equation and its variables to isolate and solve for the unknown values.

3. Can you provide an example of solving for a, b, and c in this equation?

Sure, let's say we have the equation y = 2x(cubed) + 3x(squared) + 4. To solve for a, b, and c, we will first substitute in values for x and y. For example, when x = 1, y = 9. Then, we can set up a system of equations using the known values and solve for a, b, and c. In this case, we would get a = 2, b = 3, and c = 4.

4. What are the real-life applications of this equation?

This equation and its solutions have various real-life applications, such as modeling the growth of populations, analyzing the motion of objects, and predicting the behavior of complex systems. It is also commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to represent relationships between different variables.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the solutions of this equation?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the solutions of this equation, such as the number of independent variables, the degree of the polynomial, and the initial conditions. These factors can impact the complexity and number of solutions of the equation, making it important to carefully analyze and understand the context in which it is being used.