Solve for the motion of the particle x(t)

In summary, the question asks for the motion of a particle given a force acting on it and starting at rest at a certain position. The force is given by F = ( -(Am)/(y)^3 ) =( -(Am)/(y_0 - x)^3 ) and the task is to solve for x(t) using energy conservation. However, the details of the problem are unclear, including the values of A and m, the dimension of motion, and the meaning of y = y_0 - x. More clarification is needed in order to solve the problem.
lifeonfire

Homework Statement

A force acting on a particle is given by:
F = ( -(Am)/(y)^3 ) =( -(Am)/(y_0 - x)^3 )
The particle starts at rest at y = y_0.
Solve for the motion of the particle x(t) BY INVOKING ENERGY CONSERVATION

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to solve this question using "energy conservation"

I can put F = ma and then integrate to find x(t). But how will I find x(t) with energy conservation. I know U(x) = - integral F(x) dx. But this does not help either.

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you post the exact statement of the problem? I find it unclear. For example,
1. What are A and m?
2. Is this motion in one or two dimensions?
3. What is the force written in unit vector notation?
4. Your equation implies that y = y_0 - x. What do you think this means?

Please clarify. You need to help us help you.

1. What is "Solve for the motion of the particle x(t)"?

"Solve for the motion of the particle x(t)" is a problem in physics and mathematics that involves finding the position of a particle at a specific time, given information about its motion and initial conditions.

2. What information is needed to solve for the motion of the particle x(t)?

To solve for the motion of the particle x(t), information such as the initial position, velocity, and acceleration of the particle, as well as any external forces acting on it, are needed.

3. What is the equation for solving for the motion of the particle x(t)?

The equation for solving for the motion of the particle x(t) is x(t) = x0 + v0t + 0.5at2, where x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. How is the motion of the particle x(t) affected by external forces?

The motion of the particle x(t) is affected by external forces through Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration. This means that the acceleration of the particle will change depending on the magnitude and direction of the external forces.

5. Can the motion of the particle x(t) be solved for in all cases?

In theory, yes, the motion of the particle x(t) can be solved for in all cases. However, in some cases, the equations may be too complex to solve analytically and numerical methods may be used instead. Additionally, there may be certain factors, such as air resistance, that make the problem more complicated and require additional equations or approximations.