Possible lengths of closed tube that resonates with 85cm guitar string

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Arbitrary
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A guitar string that is 85cm long is plucked. The fundamental frequency of the string is 350Hz. The string's tension is then increased and its wave speed is 1000m/s The string is vibrating at its fundamental frequency and a closed tube is next to it. A loud sound is produced by the tube. What are the possible lengths of the tube?

Homework Equations


speed = wavelength*frequency

The Attempt at a Solution



1000 = wavelength*frequency
wavelength = 0.85(2) = 1.7
1000 = 1.7*f
f = 588.2

I'm not sure what to do next. I know the speed of the wave inside the tube isn't going to be the same as its speed on the guitar string since they're different mediums, but I'm not sure what that speed would be.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If the sound isoud, what does that tell you about the frequency of the sound wave in relation to the fundamental frequency of the tube?