1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve initial-value problem for heat equation and find relaxation time

1. Dec 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Solve the initial-value problem for the heat equation ut = K[tex]\nabla[/tex]2u in the column 0< x < L1, 0< y < L2 with the boundary conditions u(0,y;t)=0, ux(L1,y,t)=0, u(x,0;t)=0, uy(x,L2;t)=0 and the initial condition u(x,y;0)=1. Find the relaxation time.

Can anyone please explain how to get this solution.. I really don't understand how to arrive at the solution. I'm hoping that if i can learn specifically how to do this i can apply it to other similar problems. I have searched around the internet for some information, but it seems like most of it is using actual situations as opposed to theoretical. i mean the book doesn't even explain what relaxation time is or how to derive it.. =/

2. Relevant equations
    We are told that :

where m,n=1 to infinity
    u(x,y;t)= [tex]\Sigma[/tex] Bmnsin (m*pi*x / L1) sin (n*pi*y)/L2) * e^-lambdamnKt

We can use this to solve initial-value problems for the heat equation.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really don't get how to solve for the Bmn... the book really doesn't give a good explanation.
    The solution is u(x,y;t) = 4/pi2 [tex]\Sigma[/tex]m,n=1 [ sin[(m-(1/2))([tex]\pi[/tex]x/L1)] / (m-1/2) ] * [ sin[n-1/2)(pi y/L2)\ / (n-1/2) ] * [ e^-lambdamnKt ]

lambdamn= (m-1/2)2 (pi/L1)2 + (n-1/2)2(pi/L1)2

relaxation time = (4/pi2 K)[L12L22/L12+L22)]
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted