Solve IQ Test Problem: Percent Adults Qualifying for MENSA Membership

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter alandry06
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Statistics
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 5K views
alandry06
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
The problem goes as such;

The scale of scores on an IQ test is approximately Normal with mean 100 and standard deviation 15. The organization MENSA, which calls itself "the high-IQ society," requires an IQ score of 130 or higher for membership. What percent of adults would qualify for membership?


I know I can use the 68-95-99.7 rule, but I am confused at where to begin.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
alandry06 said:
The problem goes as such;

The scale of scores on an IQ test is approximately Normal with mean 100 and standard deviation 15. The organization MENSA, which calls itself "the high-IQ society," requires an IQ score of 130 or higher for membership. What percent of adults would qualify for membership?


I know I can use the 68-95-99.7 rule, but I am confused at where to begin.
Can you state the the 68-95-99.7 rule?
 
You have to standardize first, using Z=X-[tex]\mu[/tex][tex]/[/tex][tex]\sigma[/tex]
 
Lateral said:
You have to standardize first, using Z =
[itex](X-\mu)/\sigma[/itex] is what you must have meant.