Solve Linked Masspoints Equation of Motion: α,l,m,g

  • Thread starter Thread starter carllacan
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
carllacan
Messages
272
Reaction score
3

Homework Statement


Two particles of equal mass, one restricted to move along the y-axis and one restricted to move along the x axis, are linked by a solid rod of length l. Obtain the Lagrangian for the generalized coordinate α, defined as the angle of the rod with the horitzontal (see picture) and solve the equations of motion.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h43s1749z7852oh/2014-01-30 22.50.54.jpg

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


My lagrangian looks like this: L = (m/2)l2[itex]\dot{α}[/itex]2 -mglsin(α)

From it I obtain [itex]\ddot{α}[/itex] = (g/l) cos(α)

But I don't know how to solve that. I know how to use the small angle approximation for the case when there is a sin. Here I am clueless.

And I am algo given a hint which confounds me: I am told to solve for t(α) applying the following equation: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hl2xfm07wt40kdn/2014-01-30 23.00.23.jpg
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [itex]\omega=\dot \alpha[/itex].

[tex]\ddot \alpha = \frac{d \omega}{d \alpha} \frac {d \alpha }{dt}=0.5\frac{d(\omega^2)}{d \alpha} =\frac {g}{l}\cos(\alpha)[/tex]

Integrate. You get ω=dα/dt as function of alpha. Integrate again.

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thank you, that was a clever trick! Now i can get to the equation mentioned on the hints. However I cannot go on, as the integral seems rather complex (i solved it with wolfram and ran out of computing time).

The hint actually tells me to give the result as t(α) applying the function F there defined. Would you interpret that as that I can just give t(α) = (some constants)*F(b, α)? (Yes, I know I should just ask the professor, but I have a few problems with that)
 
carllacan said:
The hint actually tells me to give the result as t(α) applying the function F there defined. Would you interpret that as that I can just give t(α) = (some constants)*F(b, α)? (Yes, I know I should just ask the professor, but I have a few problems with that)

I would say you can use the hint given.


ehild