1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Effective potential of a particle sliding on an inclined rod

1. Apr 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys,

Here is the question:

A pointlike mass [itex]m[/itex] can slide along a rigid rod of length [itex]l[/itex] and negligible mass. One extremity of the rod is fixed at the origin [itex]O[/itex] of an inertial system [itex](x,y,z)[/itex], and the rod forms a constant angle [itex]α[/itex] with the [itex]z[/itex]-axis. The rod rotates about the [itex]z[/itex]-axis with constant angular velocity [itex]ω[/itex]. Gravity acts in the negative [itex]z[/itex]-direction.

(i) How many degrees of freedom does the system have?

(ii) Write down the Lagrangian and the Lagrange equations.

(ii) Recast the system as a 1-dimensional motion in an effective potential. Find an expression for the effective potential and determine the equilibrium positions as well as their stability

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]T=1/2mv^{2}[/itex]
    Lagrangian: [itex]L = T - V[/itex]
    Lagrange Equation: [itex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}} = \frac{\partial L}{\partial q}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Here are my solutions:

(i) one degree of freedom - the distance from the origin to the point mass. call this distance [itex]r[/itex].

(ii) I wont put the calculations here, I'll just give my results:

Lagrangian [itex]L = T - V = \frac{1}{2}m[\dot{r}^{2}+r^{2}ω^{2}sin^{2}α] - mgrcosα[/itex]

Lagrange equation: [itex]\ddot{r}-rω^{2}sin^{2}α + gcosα = 0 [/itex]

(iii)

Okay, so here is the issue. How do you get the effective potential from this? and do I just differentiate that to get the equilibrium positions and then differentiate again to determine stability?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you had a particle of mass m confined to 1-dimension of space (a straight line) and you let r be the distance from the origin, how would you express the kinetic energy T? How would you construct a potential energy function V(r) for this particle so that it would have the same Lagrangian L as your three-dimensional problem of the particle on the rotating wire?

Sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted