Yet another Lagrangian problem. Motion in a cone

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle sliding on the inside surface of a frictionless cone with its tip on the ground and its axis vertical. The equations of motion and frequency of motion for circular and oscillatory motion are explored using Lagrangian and Lagrange's equations. The Lagrangian is corrected to include the distance on the side of the cone and the conversation ends with a mention of including $\dot{z}$ in the equation.
Xyius
Man I hate to make two post in one day but I am really stuck!

Homework Statement

A particle slides on the inside surface if a frictionless cone. The cone is fixed with its tip on the ground and its axis vertical. The half angle of the tip is α. Let r be the distance from the particle to the axis, and let θ be the angle around the cone.

1. Find the equations of motion.
2. If the particle moves in a circle of radius r_0, what is the frequenct of this motion ω?
3. If the particle is perturbed slightly from the circular motion, what is the frequency of oscillations about the radius r_0?

Homework Equations

Lagrangian and Lagranges Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If need be, I will draw a picture and upload it so the relations used are more obvious.
First thing is first, is my Lagrangian correct? (I made an image in MathType, its easier for me.)
[PLAIN]http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9997/lag1.gif

I do not think this is correct because I am not getting oscillatory motion for theta when I solve!

EDIT: Oh! I forgot to mention! 'l' is the distance on the side of the cone from the point to where the particle is. I do not know how to include this in the lagrangian!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay so I realized I didn't include [itex]\dot{z}[/itex]! After including that, I have...
[itex]L=\frac{1}{2}m \left( \frac{\dot{r}^2}{sin^2σ}+r^2 \dot{θ}^2 \right)-\frac{mgr}{tanα}[/itex]

1. What is a Lagrangian problem?

A Lagrangian problem is a type of physics problem that involves finding the motion of a system by using the Lagrangian equations, which are based on the principle of least action.

2. What is motion in a cone?

Motion in a cone refers to the motion of an object moving along the curved surface of a cone. This can occur when an object is sliding or rolling down a cone-shaped incline or when an object is moving in a circular path around the apex of a cone.

3. How is a Lagrangian problem related to motion in a cone?

A Lagrangian problem can be used to solve for the motion of an object in a cone by considering the potential and kinetic energy of the system. This allows for the determination of the object's trajectory and other important properties such as velocity and acceleration.

4. What are the key equations used in solving a Lagrangian problem for motion in a cone?

The key equations used in solving a Lagrangian problem for motion in a cone are the Lagrangian equations, which involve the Lagrangian function, the generalized coordinates, and the generalized forces. Additionally, the equations of motion, which describe the forces acting on the object, are also necessary to solve the problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of "Yet another Lagrangian problem. Motion in a cone"?

Some real-life applications of Lagrangian problems for motion in a cone include predicting the trajectory of a ball rolling down a curved surface, analyzing the motion of a satellite orbiting a cone-shaped planet, and studying the behavior of fluids flowing through conical pipes.