Solve Sound Wave Problem: Frequency of Sound in Air (336 m/s)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 16K views
Saitama
Messages
4,244
Reaction score
93

Homework Statement


A source of sound S and a detector D are placed at some distance from one another. A big cradboard is placed near the detector and perpendicular to line SD as shown in figure. It is gradually moved away and it is found that the intensity changes from a maximum to a minimum as the board is moved through a distance of 20 cm. Find the frequency of the sound emitted. Velocity of sound in air is 336 m/s.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


I have posted a similar problem in the past.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=684072&highlight=sound+detector+wall

(The figure is present in the linked thread. I can't seem to attach it to the current thread :confused: )

I tried the current problem the following way:

Let the cardboard be initially at a distance ##x## from S and let D be at a distance ##y## from S. The path difference between the two waves reaching D is ##2(x-y)##. For a maximum, the path difference must be ##n\lambda## i.e ##2(x-y)=n\lambda\,\, (*)## where n is a non-negative integer. When the cardboard is moved by 20 cm, the path difference is ##2(x-y)-40##. For a minimum, this must be a equal to ##(m+1/2)\lambda## where m is a non-negative integer. Using (*), I get:
$$n\lambda-40=\left(m+\frac{1}{2}\right)\lambda$$
Solving for ##\lambda##
$$\lambda=\frac{40}{n-m-1/2}$$
If I assume ##n=1## and ##m=0##, I get the given answer i.e 420 Hz but if I assume some other values, I get different answers. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The key thing is that the path difference between a consecutive maxima and minima is λ/2 .

Now when the detector is moved 20 cm away ,the path difference introduced is 40 cm .

i.e 40 = λ/2 or λ = 80cm .

f=c/λ = 420 Hz .
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
See how you can attach an old picture


attachment.php?attachmentid=57630&d=1365435100.png


Or you can attach it again, by changing the name.

Tania is right, the keyword is "consecutive" n and m differ by one.

ehild
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
Thanks a lot Tanya and ehild! :smile:

I had a similar dilemma with the other problems I am currently going through but now they are all solved, thanks! :)