1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve Spherical Shell Gauss Problem with Differential Form Only

1. Mar 17, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A hollow spherical shell carries charge density [itex]\rho=\frac{k}{r^2}[/itex] in the region [itex]a<=r<=b[/itex], where a is the inner radius and b is the outer radius. Find the electric field in the region [itex]a<r<b[/itex].
    I'm not allowed to use integral form of Gauss's law, must use differential form.

2. Relevant equations
    Relating charge density to electric field divergence [itex]\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the integral method, I believe the electric field is [itex]\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}}\frac{r-a}{r^2}\hat{r}[/itex]
    I then went ahead and determined that spherical co-ordinates are the way to go, and that the E-field has only an [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] component and put together
    [itex]\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{∂(r^2\vec{E}(\vec{r}))}{∂r}=\frac{k}{r^2\epsilon_{0}}[/itex]

By inspection I decided that I should have [itex]\vec{E}(\vec{r})=\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}r}\hat{r}[/itex]. While this does satisfy [itex]\vec{∇}\cdot\vec{E}=\frac{\rho}{\epsilon_{0}}[/itex], it is not in agreement with the integral form.

So my question is, am I using these relationships incorrectly? I'm very confused, since when I integrate ∇E from a to r, I get the same answer as the Gauss integral form, but not sure why this could be, since I understand that the integral of ∇E is equal to the charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface. Since I'm just interested in the E-field at a point in the shell, why would I need to integrate anyway?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, gavman.

By inspection you found a particular solution to the differential equation. You can add to it any solution to the associated homogeneous differential equation. Then you can satisfy the appropriate boundary condition at r = a.

4. Mar 18, 2013 #3
    Hi TSny
    Ok, I have [itex]\frac{k}{\epsilon_{0}r^2}[/itex] as a solution to the associated DE. To get this I used ∇E=0 then substituted my particular solution for E. Do I then just state that at the boundary, E=0 and then build an equation from my two E(r) equations which satisfies this condition? I'm just not sure if I have made an unreasonable assumption.
    thanks.

5. Mar 18, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that sounds right. Of course, you are invoking the boundary condition that E = 0 at r = a and you might ask where that comes from. It's easy to use Gauss' law to get E = 0 everywhere r<a. But since you are not to use Gauss' law, I'm not sure how you are supposed to get the boundary condition at r= a.

6. Mar 18, 2013 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In the inner range (r<a), ρ=0. The solution of ∇E=0 is E=C/r2, C is a constant. But there is no singularity at r=0, so C must be zero.

ehild

7. Mar 18, 2013 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah. Good. That nails the boundary condition.

8. Mar 18, 2013 #7
    Great, thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted