1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve the complex analysis problem

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    The problem is attached

regards,

chwala ken

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2
    Nope dude, that's incorrect. x and y are wrong. Try forming a real-valued denominator and then check again what x and y are.

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    i do not get it ? A complex number has a Real part and an Imaginary part. The idea is to breakdown the expression in the form x+iy so i do not understand why you are talking of real valued denominator. Kindly expound by looking at the problem and check where i went wrong.

5. Mar 10, 2012 #4
    Suppose z=1/(a+i*b)
    Then z not equal to 1/a + i*1/b
    Why? Basic fraction calculus. You cannot "split up" a fraction among its denominator, which is what you're intending. You can split it up among the nominator though, so you should make the denominator real-valued by expanding with its complex conjugate, that is
    z=(a-i*b)/((a+i*b)*(a-i*b))=(a-i*b)/(a^2+b^2)
    so your final expression would be
    a/(a^2+b^2)-i*b/(a^2+b^2)

If you don't understand the above, my advice would be to real a bit about basics of complex numbers on wikipedia (no offense)

6. Mar 12, 2012 #5
    Ha..,Thanks Susskind for the insight.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?