Solve the Sequence Challenge: Find the Missing Digit & a Term

In summary, there is a sequence with the first 3 terms listed as $1,\,94095,\,5265679\cdots$. The 50th term has all but one digit, and the missing digit is $a$. To find the $a$th term from this sequence, one should reverse the digits of $b_a$. A mistake was pointed out by Opalg, and the conversation ends with a humorous discussion about coffee.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
There is a sequence which has the first 3 terms listed as $1,\,94095,\,5265679\cdots$.

The 50th term has all but one digit. If the missing digit is $a$, find the $a$th term from this sequence.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
My solution:

Rewrite the sequence by reversing the digits of the numbers listed in the given sequence, we have:

$1,\,59049,\,9765625,\cdots=1^{10},\,3^{10},\,5^{10},\,\cdots$ with its general term defined as $b_n=(2n-1)^{10}$.

So, $b_{50}=(2(50)-1)^{10}=99^{10}=90438207500880449001$ and the missing digit is $a=6$.

Thus, the sixth term of this sequence is the reversed order from $b_6=(2(6)-1)^{10}=25937424601$, i.e. 10642473952.

Last edited:
[sp]So to get the sixth term of the original sequence, you should reverse the digits of $b_6$ to get $10642473952$. (Wink) (Bigsmile) [/sp]

Opalg said:
[sp]So to get the sixth term of the original sequence, you should reverse the digits of $b_6$ to get $10642473952$. (Wink) (Bigsmile) [/sp]

Thank you so very much, Opalg for pointing out one most obvious careless stupid mistake of mine, hehehe...since today I have made two cups of coffee for kaliprasad and MarkFL, I'm sorely tempted to make you too another cup of coffee, hehehe...

bcf2d989c859616a1785f945a42e155f.jpg

anemone said:
Thank you so very much, Opalg for pointing out one most obvious careless stupid mistake of mine, hehehe...since today I have made two cups of coffee for kaliprasad and MarkFL, I'm sorely tempted to make you too another cup of coffee, hehehe...
Mmmm... just what I like best. As it happens, we visited Bettys of Harrgate today, to buy some of their Java Kalibaru coffee. So we'll think of you as we drink it. (Mmm)

1. What is the "Solve the Sequence Challenge"?

The "Solve the Sequence Challenge" is a puzzle that involves finding the missing digit and a term in a given numerical sequence. It requires logical thinking and pattern recognition skills to solve.

2. How do I approach the "Solve the Sequence Challenge"?

To solve the challenge, you should carefully analyze the given sequence and look for patterns or relationships between the numbers. It may also be helpful to write out the sequence and try different strategies or methods to find the missing digit and term.

3. What are some common patterns in numerical sequences?

Some common patterns in numerical sequences include arithmetic sequences (where each term differs by a constant value), geometric sequences (where each term is multiplied by a constant value), and Fibonacci sequences (where each term is the sum of the two previous terms).

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving the "Solve the Sequence Challenge"?

One helpful tip is to look for the difference between each term in the sequence. If the difference is consistent, it may indicate an arithmetic sequence. Another tip is to look for repeated numbers or patterns within the sequence, which may help you determine the missing digit and term.

5. Can the "Solve the Sequence Challenge" be solved using a formula or equation?

Yes, depending on the given sequence, it may be possible to use a formula or equation to find the missing digit and term. However, it is important to carefully check the formula or equation to ensure it accurately applies to the given sequence.