Solve the Simple Equation: 1/d^2 = 1/(81m^2) + 1/(25m^2) in Just a Few Steps!

  • Thread starter Thread starter superwolf
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
superwolf
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
How can I solve this equation:

[tex] \frac{1}{d^2} = \frac{1}{(9m)^2} + \frac{1}{(5m)^2}[/tex]

?

Try:

[tex] \frac{1}{d^2} = \frac{1}{81m^2} + \frac{1}{25m^2} \Rightarrow d^2 = 81m^2 + 25m^2 = 106m^2 \Rightarrow d = 10.3m[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
superwolf said:
How can I solve this equation:

[tex] \frac{1}{d^2} = \frac{1}{(9m)^2} + \frac{1}{(5m)^2}[/tex]

?

Try:

[tex] \frac{1}{d^2} = \frac{1}{81m^2} + \frac{1}{25m^2}[/tex]
up to here you are fine. But
[tex]\Rightarrow d^2 = 81m^2 + 25m^2 = 106m^2 \Rightarrow d = 10.3m[/tex]
is not true. if
[tex]\frac{1}{a}= \frac{1}{b}+ \frac{1}{c}[/tex]
it is NOT true that a= b+ c.
More specifically,
[tex]\frac{1}{\frac{1}{b}+ \frac{1}{c}}\ne b+ c[/tex]

I recommend that you multiply both sides of the equation by the least common divisor of all three fractions, (25)(81)d2.
 
Last edited by a moderator: