Finding velocity from electron energy in eV for velocity selector

  • Thread starter Thread starter DFWDraco76
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Velocity
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
DFWDraco76
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I found an old post with an almost identical question: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54092

However, I still don't see how to work the problem.

My question is phrased exactly the same, except B = 0.0170T and it's a 750eV electron.

I have absolutely no clue how I'm supposed to relate eV to velocity, but I'm pretty sure (at least I read it somewhere on the web) I should be able to set 1/2mv^2 = eV.

If I do this I end up with v = sqrt(2eV/m) = 4.06*10^16.

Plugging that into the equation E = vB = 6.90*10^14.

That's way off... The answer should be kV/m, and from various friends that have gotten it right I hear it should be 3 digits (i.e. 100 <= answer <= 999).

Can somebody give me a hint, help me along here?

EDIT: I have another question in which I need to somehow related eV to velocity as well. This one is finding the radius of a cyclotron, given it's to accelerate to 32.0 MeV using magnetic filed 4.5T. I know r = mv / qB, so once again I'm missing v.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DFWDraco76 said:
1/2mv^2 = eV.
Almost there; however, you need to convert the energy from eV to Joules before equating the formulae for kinetic energy. The effects of relativity are insignificant so you can still use the classical equation as you have done above.
 
Ok... So 1eV = 1.6*10^-19J
750eV*1.6*10^-19 = 1.2*10^-16 = j

v = sqrt(2j/m) = sqrt(2.4*10^-16 / 9.11*10^-31) = 1.623*10^7

still not right, is it?