Solve Wave Movement Homework: Speed, Wavelength & Period

In summary, a hiker shouts towards a 735 m vertical cliff and hears the echo 4.00 s later. The speed of sound can be calculated using the formula V=d/t, where d is the distance traveled and t is the time taken. The wavelength of the sound is given as 0.732 m and its frequency and period can be calculated using the formula V=fλ, where V is the speed of sound, f is the frequency and λ is the wavelength. Similarly, for the problem involving water waves in a shallow dish, the speed of the waves can be calculated using the given length and frequency, and the period can be found using the formula T=1/f. It is important to note that the distance traveled
bnwchbammer

Homework Statement

A hiker shouts toward a vertical cliff 735 m away. The echo is heard 4.00 s later.
(a) What is the speed of sound of the hiker's voice in air?
[] m/s
(b) The wavelength of the sound is 0.732 m. What is its frequency?
[] Hz
(c) What is the period of the wave?
[] ms

(taken from webassign)

Homework Equations

I would have thought it was V=d/s, but it doesn't work that way with this wave problem. Do I need to know the speed of sound?

The Attempt at a Solution

I took 735/4 but it told me it was the wrong answer. I'm pretty sure I could figure out the rest of the problem if I could find velocity, so any help with that?

While I'm at it though

Homework Statement

Water waves in a shallow dish are 5.5 cm long. At one point, the water moves up and down at a rate of 5.5 oscillations per second.
(a) What is the speed of the water waves?
[] m/s
(b) What is the period of the water waves?
[] s

Similar to the last problem, but I'm really clueless for this one.

I have until midnight to get these problems finished, so quick help would be appreciated. I don't even need the answer necissarily, just a way of solving it. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I took 735/4 but it told me it was the wrong answer. I'm pretty sure I could figure out the rest of the problem if I could find velocity, so any help with that?

For him to have heard the echo, the sound has to hit the wall and then come back and hit him... so... maybe 4seconds isn't the time you should be using...

Last edited:
The distance traveled by the wave is not 735 meters. That is the distance to the cliff. From this, find how far the wave travels during the four seconds that it takes for the shout to return to the hiker.

Related to Solve Wave Movement Homework: Speed, Wavelength & Period

What is the formula for calculating speed of a wave?

The formula for calculating wave speed is speed = wavelength x frequency. This means that the speed of a wave is directly proportional to its wavelength and frequency.

How do you calculate wavelength?

Wavelength can be calculated by dividing the speed of the wave by its frequency. The unit for wavelength is typically meters (m).

What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency is inverse. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases and vice versa. This relationship is governed by the speed of the wave.

What is the period of a wave?

The period of a wave is the time it takes for one full wavelength to pass a fixed point. It is measured in seconds (s) and can be calculated by dividing the wavelength by the wave speed.

How can you use the speed, wavelength, and period of a wave to solve problems?

You can use the formula speed = wavelength x frequency to solve problems involving wave speed. Additionally, the relationship between wavelength and frequency can be used to solve for either variable when given the other. The period of a wave can also be used to calculate its frequency and wavelength.