Solving 1D Motion: How Fast Must a Police Car Go to Catch a Holdup Car?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Ashford
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

A police car leaves in pursuit of a holdup car 0.50 h after the latter has left the scene of the crime at 120 km/h. How fast must the police car go if it is to catch up with the holdup car in 1.00h?


Homework Equations

I'm thinking Vf=Vo+at? i must be wrong, I can't seem to get the probelm started



The Attempt at a Solution

Tried so many but it doesn't seem to come out
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you can ignore accelaration since no data is given. So it is simply s = vt
How far has the first car gone at constant speed when the police car catches it?
 
then distance = 120(1.5), Which equals 180 km. Thank you for the help I didn't even think of it like that.