Solving a 2nd order ODE using Green's Function

In summary, the conversation discusses the homogeneous Helmholtz equation and its corresponding eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. It also mentions the Green's function that satisfies the equation and how it can be written in terms of the eigenvalues and eigenfunctions. The conversation also brings up the definition of Green's function and the importance of understanding it for solving differential equations.
ultimateguy

Homework Statement

The homogeneous Helmholtz equation

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2\psi+\lambda^2\psi=0[/tex]

has eigenvalues [tex]\lambda^2_i[/tex] and eigenfunctions [tex]\psi_i[/tex]. Show that the corresponding Green's function that satisfies

[tex]\bigtriangledown^2 G(\vec{r}_1, \vec{r}_2)+\lambda^2 G(\vec{r}_1, \vec{r}_2)=-\delta(\vec{r}_1-\vec{r}_2)[/tex]

may be written as

[tex]G(\vec{r}_1, \vec{r}_2)=\sum_{i=1}^{\infty}\frac{\psi_i(\vec{r}_1)\psi_i(\vec{r}_2)}{\lambda^2_i-\lambda^2}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\int(\psi \bigtriangledown^2 G-G\bigtriangledown^2 \psi) d\tau_2=\int(\psi \bigtriangledown G-G\bigtriangledown\psi) d\sigma[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm using Arfken's Mathematical methods for physicists, and it isn't very good at explaining the examples it uses. I just need some kind of jump start to get me going. Do I need to use the equation in the relevant equations section?

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to start by writing out the definition of "Green's function"- that's far more important than examples.

Green's function for a linear, nonhomogeneous, differential equation, L(Y)=f(x), where L( ) is a linear differential operator, with given boundary conditions, is a function G(r, r') such that
1) L(G(r,r'))= 0 for all r not equal to r'
2) limit as r->r' from the right of L(G(r, r')) minus the limit as r->r' from the left of L(G(r,r'))= 1.
3) G(r, r') satisfies the boundary conditions.
2)

How do I know the boundary conditions? The problem doesn't state any. Do I just assume there aren't any?

1. What is Green's Function and how is it used to solve 2nd order ODEs?

Green's Function is a mathematical tool used to solve 2nd order ordinary differential equations (ODEs). It is a function that satisfies the given differential equation with a delta function as the source term. By using Green's Function, the solution to the original ODE can be found by solving a simpler inhomogeneous equation with a known source term.

2. How is Green's Function related to the concept of a fundamental solution?

Green's Function and the fundamental solution are closely related concepts. The fundamental solution is the solution to a linear, homogeneous ODE with the initial conditions set to zero. Green's Function, on the other hand, is the solution to the same ODE with a delta function as the source term. The fundamental solution is used to construct Green's Function, making them intimately connected.

3. What are the steps for solving a 2nd order ODE using Green's Function?

The first step is to find the fundamental solution of the ODE. Then, the Green's Function is constructed by substituting the fundamental solution into a specific formula. Once the Green's Function is obtained, it can be used to solve the inhomogeneous ODE by convolving it with the source term. The final step is to apply the necessary boundary conditions to the solution.

4. Are there any limitations to using Green's Function to solve 2nd order ODEs?

Yes, there are limitations to using Green's Function. It is only applicable to linear, homogeneous ODEs with constant coefficients. Additionally, the method may not work for all boundary conditions, and the integral involved in the convolution may be difficult to evaluate in some cases.

5. Can Green's Function be used to solve higher order ODEs?

Yes, Green's Function can be used to solve higher order ODEs by reducing them to a system of first-order ODEs. This system can then be solved using Green's Function. However, as the order of the ODE increases, the complexity of the calculations also increases, making the method more challenging to apply.