Solve 3rd order ode using variation of parameters

In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation y''' - 2y'' - y' + 2y = exp(4t) using variation of parameters. The attempt at a solution involves finding the homogenous solutions and calculating the determinant of a matrix to find the general solution. However, the method of variation of parameters is considered inefficient for finding a particular solution.
abstracted6

Homework Statement

Solve using variation of parameters
y''' - 2y'' - y' + 2y = exp(4t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the homogenous solutions to be 1, -1, and 2.

So, y = Aexp(t) + Bexp(-t) + Cexp(2t) + g(t)

I got W{exp(t), exp(-t), exp(2t)} = 6exp(2t)

My professor did quite an unsatisfactory job explaining variation of parameter for high order equations (spent an hour and 30 minutes trying to do 1 problem, and still didn't finish it correctly). So I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I got -6 exp(2t), but maybe I made a sign error in my calculation.

So the general idea is now to replace the ith column in the matrix by (0, 0, exp(4t)) and calculate the determinant |Wi| of that, for i = 1, 2, 3.
Then if you calculate
[tex]c_i(t) = \int \frac{|W_i|}{|W|} \, dt[/tex]
the general solution is
[tex]y(t) = c_1(t) e^{t} + c_2(t) e^{-t} + c_3(t) e^{-4t}[/tex]

abstracted6 said:

Homework Statement

y''' - 2y'' - y' + 2y = exp(4t)

Homework Equations

As a learning exercise, fine. But I assume you know nobody in their right mind would use variation of parameters to find a particular solution, eh?

1. How do I know if a differential equation is a 3rd order ode?

To determine if a differential equation is a 3rd order ode, you need to check the highest derivative present in the equation. If the highest derivative is of order three, then it is a 3rd order ode.

2. What is the variation of parameters method for solving 3rd order odes?

The variation of parameters method is a technique used to solve nonhomogeneous linear differential equations. It involves finding a general solution to the associated homogeneous equation and then using a variation of the coefficients to find a particular solution to the nonhomogeneous equation.

3. Can the variation of parameters method be used for higher order odes?

Yes, the variation of parameters method can be used for any order of nonhomogeneous linear differential equations. However, it becomes more complex as the order increases.

4. What are the steps involved in using the variation of parameters method to solve a 3rd order ode?

The steps for using the variation of parameters method are: 1) Find the general solution to the associated homogeneous equation, 2) Determine the Wronskian of the homogeneous solutions, 3) Find the particular solution using the variation of coefficients, and 4) Combine the general solution with the particular solution to get the complete solution.

5. Are there any limitations to using the variation of parameters method?

One limitation of the variation of parameters method is that it only works for nonhomogeneous linear differential equations. It also becomes more complex as the order of the equation increases, making it difficult to use for higher order odes.