Orbit of satellite 2nd order ODE using Matlab

In summary, the conversation is about solving a set of 2nd order differential equations using Euler's method for a geosychronous orbit of a satellite. The equations are given and the first step is to set up sets of ODE's to solve. The main problem is determining the initial values for the MATLAB function. It is mentioned that any initial position on the orbit with a perpendicular velocity can be used for the solution.
olski1
Hi,

I am completely stuck on this problem that has been given to us.

I must solve a set of 2nd order differential equations using Euler's method. It is for a geosychronous orbit of a satellite, meaning the orbit is circular and the velocity vector is perpendicular to the radius vector (r.V=0). The equations are:

d2x/dt2=-k2x/r3

and

d2y/dt2=-k2y/r3

k^2,r and V are all given.

My first step was to set up sets of ode's to solve.

for the first equation we have,

let y1=x and y2=dy1/dt

hence, dy2/dt= -k2y1/r3

and for the second,

let y3=y and y4=dy3/dt

hence, dy4/dt= -k2y3/r3

which I think is correct.

Now I have to pass this into a MATLAB function which uses eulers method. But I have no idea how to implement it. my main problem at the moment is that I do not know what to use as my initial y1,2,3,4 values in the function vector.

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure why anyone would want to solve and ODE for motion which is completely known, but still.

You can take any initial position as long as it is on the orbit (circle). The velocity, as you say, is perpendicular to it and must be equal to the length of the orbit divided by one sidereal day.

1. What is a satellite orbit?

A satellite orbit is the path that a satellite follows around a larger celestial body, such as a planet. It is determined by the gravitational pull of the larger body and the initial velocity of the satellite.

2. What is a 2nd order ODE?

A 2nd order ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function, its first derivative, and its second derivative. In the context of satellite orbits, it is used to model the motion of a satellite under the influence of gravity.

3. How is Matlab used to model satellite orbits?

Matlab is a programming software that allows scientists to create mathematical models and simulations. In the case of satellite orbits, Matlab can be used to solve the 2nd order ODE that describes the motion of a satellite and plot its trajectory.

4. What factors affect the orbit of a satellite?

The orbit of a satellite is affected by several factors, including the mass and gravitational pull of the larger celestial body it is orbiting, the initial velocity and direction of the satellite, and any external forces acting on the satellite, such as atmospheric drag.

5. Why is it important to understand the orbit of a satellite?

Understanding the orbit of a satellite is crucial for many reasons. It allows us to accurately predict and track the position of satellites, which is essential for communication, navigation, and weather forecasting. It also helps us design and maintain satellite orbits to avoid collisions and ensure their longevity.