Solving a Car Vector Displacement Problem: Calculating Total Displacement

In summary, the total displacement of the car is 20km at an angle of 0 degrees from the horizontal, or any other way you want to express a vector. This can be calculated by subtracting the distance traveled in the opposite direction (45km) from the distance traveled in the positive direction (65km).
Sniperking
Car Vector Displacement Problem

Homework Statement

A car moves 65km due east, then 45km due west. What is the total displacement?

Homework Equations

Don't understand what you mean. =/

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was... 45km/65km to find the degree, and I got 34.7
So I used cosine, Cos(34.7)x65km which equal the total displacement, I got 53.44km

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure what you are trying to do there. 45/65 is not 34.7 and that will not give you an angle. When asked for net displacement, you are being asked, "How far from the starting point does the guy end up?"

Think about this. The guy moves 65km east, then turns around and moves 45 km in the opposite direction. Draw this situation and you should be able to visualize the situation a little more clearly.

Last edited:
if you take two steps forward and one step back you have gone one step forward.

This guy has gone 65km east then back 45km, so he has gone 65km-45km

thenewbosco said:
if you take two steps forward and one step back you have gone one step forward.

This guy has gone 65km east then back 45km, so he has gone 65km-45km

So is that how you find the total displacement? I'm looking at my textbook, but it doesn't really explain total displacement.

The textbook I have is: Glencoe Science: Physics Principles and Problems

Displacement is the length of the the line segment connecting the starting point to the ending point.

More accurately and importantly, it is a vector quantity. If the point of origin is the starting point, and east is taken as the positive direction, its displacement is 20m at 0 degrees from the horizontal, or any other way you want to express a vector.

Related to Solving a Car Vector Displacement Problem: Calculating Total Displacement

1. What factors affect a car's physics?

The main factors that affect a car's physics are its weight, speed, and the force of gravity acting on it. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and the condition of the road also play a role.

2. How does a car's weight affect its handling?

A car's weight affects its handling by influencing its acceleration, braking, and cornering abilities. A heavier car will require more force to accelerate and brake, and may have less responsive steering. However, a heavier car may also have better stability on the road.

3. What is the difference between front-wheel drive and rear-wheel drive in terms of car physics?

In front-wheel drive cars, the front wheels are responsible for both steering and propulsion, while in rear-wheel drive cars, the rear wheels are responsible for propulsion and the front wheels for steering. This difference can affect a car's handling and traction, as well as its turning radius and weight distribution.

4. How does air resistance affect a car's movement?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can greatly affect a car's movement by creating a force that opposes the direction of motion. This force increases with speed and can impact a car's acceleration and top speed. Cars with a more aerodynamic design will experience less air resistance.

5. How are car physics used in designing safer vehicles?

Car physics play a crucial role in designing safer vehicles. Engineers use physics principles to design crumple zones, airbags, and other safety features that protect passengers in the event of a crash. They also use physics to test and improve a car's stability and handling, reducing the risk of accidents.