1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a differential equation using Cauchy-Euler Method

1. Mar 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hey all, this is my first time posting here. I've used your help before, but have not actually ever had to post a question. Thanks for any help you can give, I am excited to finally join the community.

I am doing calculus homework and I am having trouble solving this problem using the Cauchy-Euler method that we're supposed to solve it with.

Solve: xy4 + 6ym = 0

It is the part about the 6ym that I am not sure what to do with.

2. Relevant equations

andny / dxn ....a0y = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

My book toldme to try and substitute y=xm into the derivative parts, and all of the other problems I've done work with that method. This is what I've done so far.

y=xm
    y1=mxm-1
    y2=m(m-1)xm-2
    y3=m(m-1)(m-2)xm-3
    y4=m(m-1)(m-2)(m-3)xm-4

I know how to treat the 4th derivative term; again, I just don't know what or how to think about the y^m term. I know the solution to the problem, as it is in the back of my book, I just don't know how to get there. Can anyone give me a prod in the right direction?
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I don't see any derivative in the original equation!

4. Mar 24, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry, our book uses notation so that y^4 is supposed to be the fourth derivative of y.
    So, for example, y1=y´ and y^2 = y´´

5. Mar 24, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The usual notation is y^(2) (so we can tell the difference between that and the square of y). Anyway, you have found the first few y^(m) for y = x^n. If you don't see the pattern, I suggest you look instead at y^(m)/m! and see if you recognize the coefficients there.

RGV

6. Mar 24, 2012 #5
    I see that there is a relationship in that
    y^(m)/m = (my^(m-1) + m(m-1)y^(m-2)....)/(m(m-1)(m-2)...) but I don't actually understand how to apply that relationship at all yet

7. Mar 24, 2012 #6
    Nevermind, I'm really sorry about this. I mistook the book for having written y^m when they really wrote y^´´´. I guess my new problem is poor eyesight. Thanks a lot for the help, I struggled trying to solve this for a solid 40 minutes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook