Solving a Displacement Problem with a Spring Force of 50 N/m

In summary, the book's answer is 0.12m while my answer is 0.06m. I think the problem has to do with the fact that when the block gets to the position at which the applied force is canceled by the force exerted by the spring, at this position the block is moving and continues to move due to its inertia.
Xarvist
Okay so we have a block attached to a spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m. The spring is in the relaxed state.
We apply a force 3N along the positive x direction. The block moves along the x axis,stretching the spring until the block finally stops.
What is the block's displacement?

When the block is stopped the force of the spring on the block should be -3 Newtons. Using the formula F=-kx
I get the answer 3/50=0.06m. The book's answer is 0.12m.
What exactly am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not exactly sure since you haven't shown your work.

However I suspect the problem has to do with the fact that when the block gets to the position at which the applied force is canceled by the force exerted by the spring, at this position the block is moving and continues to move due to its inertia.

Xarvist said:
Okay so we have a block attached to a spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m. The spring is in the relaxed state.
We apply a force 3N along the positive x direction. The block moves along the x axis,stretching the spring until the block finally stops.
What is the block's displacement?

When the block is stopped the force of the spring on the block should be -3 Newtons. Using the formula F=-kx
I get the answer 3/50=0.06m. The book's answer is 0.12m.
What exactly am I doing wrong?

Your force will accelerate the block, until it has stretched the spring 6 cm. At that time the mass will be moving, and will take some time to stop.

Imagine the x direction was down, and you had a mass of weight 3N attached to the spring then dropped. It will continue past the point where the spring pulls with 3N. It will eventually stop and rebound and you are basically asked where will it eventually stop.

Oh, okay I understand now thanks!

I actually found a way right before checking this post, using the energy equations.
W = Fx
E = -.5kx^2
Fx = -.5kx^2
F = .5kx
x = -2F/k
x = -2*-3N/50 = .12m

So if I want the final state of a spring but I don't want to do calculations involving inertia and oscillation, I should just use energy principles then?

Xarvist said:
Oh, okay I understand now thanks!

I actually found a way right before checking this post, using the energy equations.
W = Fx
E = -.5kx^2
Fx = -.5kx^2
F = .5kx
x = -2F/k
x = -2*-3N/50 = .12m

So if I want the final state of a spring but I don't want to do calculations involving inertia and oscillation, I should just use energy principles then?

I thought of giving a work done vs Energy stored in the spring option but was not sure if you had done that topic. Clearly you had, and that is the easiest way to solve.

1. How do you calculate the displacement of an object with a spring force of 50 N/m?

The displacement (x) of an object attached to a spring with a force constant of 50 N/m can be calculated using the formula x = F/k, where F is the applied force and k is the spring constant.

2. Can the displacement of an object with a spring force of 50 N/m be negative?

Yes, the displacement of an object can be negative if the applied force is in the opposite direction of the equilibrium position of the spring. This indicates that the object has moved in the opposite direction of the applied force.

3. How does the displacement of an object change with a change in the spring force of 50 N/m?

The displacement of an object is directly proportional to the applied force and inversely proportional to the spring constant. This means that as the spring force increases, the displacement also increases, and vice versa.

4. What happens to the displacement of an object when the spring force of 50 N/m is removed?

If the spring force is removed, the object will return to its original position or equilibrium point. This is because the spring force is what causes the displacement in the first place, and without it, the object will no longer experience any force to keep it in the displaced position.

5. How does the displacement of an object with a spring force of 50 N/m relate to Hooke's Law?

The displacement of an object with a spring force of 50 N/m follows Hooke's Law, which states that the displacement of a spring is directly proportional to the applied force and follows a linear relationship. In this case, the spring force of 50 N/m is the spring constant in the equation, and the displacement is directly proportional to it.