1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solving a first order differential equation

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We have the equation
    ## (\frac{dr}{ds})^2+(\frac{l}{r})^2=1 ##
    and want to solve to get ## r=\sqrt{l^2+(s-s_0)^2}##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have worked backwards, plugging in the solution to prove that it is correct, but the closest I have gotten to actually finding the solution without using r is: ##\frac{dr}{ds}=\frac{\sqrt{r^2-l^2}}{r}##

Can anyone help with where to go from here?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What you have is a good start. Can you rewrite the equation just a little more so that only ## r ## and ## dr ## show up on one side and only ## ds ## shows up on the other?

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello Stephen,

I take it you have seen the solution satisfies the differential equation ?

And doesn't the solution remind you of good old Pythagoras ?

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Some differential equation problems take the form of "show that this equation is a solution of the differential equation ..." Other differential equation problems ask you to solve a given DE, and don't provide the solution. Your problem appears to be the latter type.

To start, note that ## (\frac{dr}{ds})^2+(\frac{l}{r})^2=1 ## can be rewritten as ## \frac{dr}{ds} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ##

6. Oct 23, 2015 #5
    This is the part of the problem I'm having trouble with

7. Oct 23, 2015 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What is the trouble you're having?
    Starting from ## \frac{dr}{ds} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ##, separate the variables by dividing both sides by ##\sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ##, and multiplying both sides by ds. You will need to handle the + and - cases with an equation for each.

8. Oct 23, 2015 #7
    Oh yeah, I have it now. I was being stupid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted