Solving a first order differential equation

In summary, to solve the given differential equation, we can manipulate it to the form ## \frac{dr}{ds} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ## and then separate variables to solve for r.
stephen cripps

Homework Statement

We have the equation
## (\frac{dr}{ds})^2+(\frac{l}{r})^2=1 ##
and want to solve to get ## r=\sqrt{l^2+(s-s_0)^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked backwards, plugging in the solution to prove that it is correct, but the closest I have gotten to actually finding the solution without using r is: ##\frac{dr}{ds}=\frac{\sqrt{r^2-l^2}}{r}##

Can anyone help with where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
What you have is a good start. Can you rewrite the equation just a little more so that only ## r ## and ## dr ## show up on one side and only ## ds ## shows up on the other?

Hello Stephen,

I take it you have seen the solution satisfies the differential equation ?

And doesn't the solution remind you of good old Pythagoras ?

stephen cripps said:

Homework Statement

We have the equation
## (\frac{dr}{ds})^2+(\frac{l}{r})^2=1 ##
and want to solve to get ## r=\sqrt{l^2+(s-s_0)^2}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have worked backwards, plugging in the solution to prove that it is correct, but the closest I have gotten to actually finding the solution without using r is: ##\frac{dr}{ds}=\frac{\sqrt{r^2-l^2}}{r}##

Can anyone help with where to go from here?
Some differential equation problems take the form of "show that this equation is a solution of the differential equation ..." Other differential equation problems ask you to solve a given DE, and don't provide the solution. Your problem appears to be the latter type.

To start, note that ## (\frac{dr}{ds})^2+(\frac{l}{r})^2=1 ## can be rewritten as ## \frac{dr}{ds} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ##

Geofleur said:
What you have is a good start. Can you rewrite the equation just a little more so that only ## r ## and ## dr ## show up on one side and only ## ds ## shows up on the other?
This is the part of the problem I'm having trouble with

stephen cripps said:
This is the part of the problem I'm having trouble with
What is the trouble you're having?
Starting from ## \frac{dr}{ds} = \pm \sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ##, separate the variables by dividing both sides by ##\sqrt{1 - (\frac{l}{r})^2} ##, and multiplying both sides by ds. You will need to handle the + and - cases with an equation for each.

Oh yeah, I have it now. I was being stupid.

1. What is a first order differential equation?

A first order differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivative. It involves only the first derivative of the function, and can be solved to find the general solution or a specific solution for a given initial condition.

2. How do you solve a first order differential equation?

There are various methods for solving a first order differential equation, including separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. Each method involves manipulating the equation in a specific way to isolate the dependent and independent variables, and then integrating to find the general solution.

3. What is the role of initial conditions in solving a first order differential equation?

Initial conditions are specific values given for the dependent and independent variables at a certain point, usually denoted as x0 and y0. These conditions are necessary in order to find a specific solution to the differential equation, as they provide a starting point for the integration process.

4. Can a first order differential equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a first order differential equation can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the general solution of a first order differential equation contains one or more arbitrary constants, which can take on any value. The specific solution depends on the given initial conditions.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving first order differential equations?

First order differential equations are used to model many natural phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and radioactive decay. They also have applications in engineering, economics, and physics, and are essential in understanding and predicting various natural processes.